First Scouting Trip...Fires?

slyck68

Reaction score
I'm getting the itch...and it's not from all these fires ashin' up my skin. I am going on a mini two-day scouting trip in the Trinity Wilderness Area. Can't afford to hunt all over with gas prices, so I'm doing nothin' but B-zone this year. I spoke with the Forest Service and they said they had numerous lightning strikes over the weekend and quite a few small fires. By chance, was anyone up that way this weekend? I'm curious if it will be as smokey up at elevation as it is here in Sacramento. Just getting excited I guess.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I found this on the recent conditions report, I hope it helps:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/shastatrinity/abou...ts/trmu/taw.pdf

"A period of continuous lightning started around 7 PM on the Friday June 20th and went on until the mid-morning of Saturday June 21st. Hundreds of fires were started up and down the Central Valley, and we here in the Trinity Alps were also heavily impacted.
Many of these fires are burning in areas that can generate copious amounts of smoke. Daily changes in wind direction and wind speed can further complicate local smoke conditions. Be advised that the air quality of the watershed you are considering is no doubt poor and could worsen significantly during your camping stay.
Unfortunately, it can take up to a week for some of these lightening strikes to grow to a fire of identifiable size. Please be advised that the trail you choose may have several fires burning that have not yet been reported. If you come upon a small area (or single tree) that is smoldering or burning and it is not yet attended by Forest Service personnel, please report it by telephone using 911. Before dialing, be sure to determine a geographical position of the fire using a GPS unit if you have one (coordinates), or estimating a Township Range and Section from your topographic map. Our Trinity Alps Wilderness maps have Township Range and Section information on them.
If you choose to proceed with your Wilderness trip, take into account the following:

Your return trip may be compromised by fire. Have an alternate route planned.
Trinity Alps Wilderness Trail Condition Report – June 23rd, 2008

Use extreme caution if you come upon any burned area. Do not walk through a burned area, fire-damaged trees and dislodged boulders create hazardous conditions.
For the latest report on fire conditions for any of these watersheds, please contact the Weaverville Ranger District at 530 623-2121."

CHECK WILDFIRE STATUS HERE

Good luck man!

slyck68

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I just got a call back from the Forest Service and they are going nuts with all of the fires. They say the smoke is very thick and visibility is next to nothing. Grr...oh well, I hope my monster buck I spotted last year doesn't get himself barbequed!

snoopdogg

Reaction score
Alright slyck and backcountry, stay the hell outta my Alps--My deer!! :) Almost time...

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopdogg @ Jun 24 2008, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Alright slyck and backcountry, stay the hell outta my Alps--My deer!! :) Almost time...[/b]

Almost time man! BTW, I'm heading East this year...I guess D-3/5 will be crowded...

bones138

Reaction score
Ya I went out in the Los Padres National Forest down here in Monterey a couple weeks ago and spotted quite a few bucks out there aand was excited for august.

Now I'm out of luck since it looks like almost all of the Ventana Wilderness is gonna burn down specifically the area I was in.

I didn't plan on going anywhere else but there, so now it's time to start lookin for a new place to go.

hank4elk

Reaction score
glad i got my D7 tag, there is a rumor going 'round that A zone could be shut if they don't get the INDIANS fire under control. maybe just los padres? new mexico is having touble too i hear, hope it doesn't put a crimp in my MB elk hunt. has anyone else heard likewise? hank w. ps, got some great pics of 3bucks this morn i'll try and get them loaded i'm not a comp. person

barel74

Reaction score
I don't see how they can shut down A-zone, with so much private land that is totally unaffected by the fires.

YORT40

Reaction score
If you boys are thinking about coming over to the East side of Sierra's for some scouting, don't bother until things clear up. The smoke makes glassing an area impossible.

RosinBag

Reaction score
If your not sure on visibility make certain. I have hunted the Trinity's for the last 15 years and have seen many fires up there. Even in 2006 when the majority of the west half was on fire, I hunted the east side and had no visibility issues. A lot depends on wind direction and temperature plays a huge part in how much smoke comes from the fires. Good luck I have one scouting trip and four back pack hunting trips into the Trinity's this year and I hope everything stays ok up there.

Doug

slyck68

Reaction score
I was out shooting my bow yesterday and my eyes were watering and I could feel my breathing was slightly labored, I'm glad I wasn't hiking in this crap at 6,000'! Looking at that webcam I don't think I'd be able to see much anyway. Oh well, I'll get up there in the next few weeks...the antlers are only getting bigger and bigger!

Ralphy

Reaction score
sounds like some of ya all have the same prob. i have.condons shut down vantanas shut down d6s burning allso.im not sure about fhl,im gonna wait befor i waste another 90$ on them! maybe i should ask for refund on tags and hunt outta state.maybe my greatgrand kids will see an open season on condors cause of over poplation.heck by then they'll be dieing of copper poisning.givein up in ca.SEEYA

Top Bottom