First time choke patterning

bpenn

Reaction score
So this last weekend I decided to pattern my shotgun for the first time. I really had no idea what to expect. I had always used a modified/improved modified set up for my 1st/2nd shots. I started off with modified choke and then ran the IC choke. Both shots at 27 yards, shooting Remington game loads, 12 gauge, 2 3/4", 1oz, #7.5's.

1st pic - mod choke, 30" circle
2nd pic - improved cylinder choke, 30" circle

I was surprised by how clustered the the pellets were with the mod choke! That taped up cross is about the size of the body of a quail. At 30 yards it wouldnt have been too difficult to move the center 6" outside the body of pellets and either get a cripple or miss. The Improved Cylinder had a much much nicer pattern at that range. A more even distribution of pellets.

I didnt finish off the whole patterning process by shooting the IM, CYL and FULL chokes at that range, switching to the "over" barrel and doing the same, then running the target out to 40 yards and repeating.

Even with this small bit of information I think its safe to say I will be opening up my chokes this coming season.

Brad

Attachments

trapperbr549

Reaction score
You might also try other brands of ammo. Different guns just like different ammo for some reason.

Mike C

Reaction score
You really learn a lot when you start the process of patterning your shotgun rather than just shooting it. Good show. I have read several articles on chokes and patterning you shotgun but the most help I found was talking to George Trulock over the phone trying to find a odd ball thread choke that would fit my Kahan O/U. He also has some great information on patterning your shotgun at http://www.trulockchokes.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?page=basic_choke_info.htm&cart_id=1311539.27785<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
you might have to read the article a couple of times before the information sinks in. Especially if you just hunt and don't shoot skeet, trap or sporting clays. Knowing what choke to use for the game you hunt has increased my kill to shot shell ratio quite a bit. And yes each shotgun will shot just a litter different using the same load and choke, so it pays to pattern you shotgun. Other threads here on the form about patterning we very helpful as well.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

gundogs

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to start a log book. Each time you shoot a different load , even from the same manufacture you need to pattern your gun. Make a new entry for each load and distance and the resulting choke selection.
I am sure you will find some loads/brands just will not work well in your particular gun. You will need to do this for each gun in your inventory.

Happy shooting and productive hunting.

Bryce:patiotic-wavin-flag

Top Bottom