First time success for my coworker.

Rob P

Reaction score
I was able to glass this buck up and put my coworker on his first buck this weekend. He took up hunting 6 years ago and has never pulled the trigger until now. I found him at day break and he busted us at 200 yards trying to get into position. I found him again a 2pm under a tree about half mile later. Since he had never shot a deer I let him take the the first crack at him. He shot him at 530. Packout was gruesome. We ran out of water. Finally got back to camp at 11pm. A day later he left for home and left me to hunt by myself. That definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Not that I need anyone but when u do all this work to help someone accomplish a goal the least they can do is try to repay the favor.

23F00099-CFD0-407E-97AD-17153AD53986.jpeg

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
Runnin' outta water is no joke! Life-changer!

Are you saying he shot him at 530yds? Or that he shot him at 5:30pm?

Him leaving sooner, was it because of need to get the meat home? Like cooler petering out of ice or something unavoidable like that? Or was it his level of fitness catching up with him? How many days had you both planned on staying out there together?

P.S. Damn fine looking buck!

jbao

Reaction score
yea, especially in california, i could see one wanting to get that meat home asap

Rob P

Reaction score
He shot him at 530pm on Saturday. I offered to go home with him Sunday and process the meat. He said if he went home he wasn’t coming back. We hung the meat over night then had it in cooler. The meat was doing fine. Then he told me was heading home Sunday night. I made it a mission to help him get his first buck. We had planned to stay all week. I took vacation to hunt the week with him and burned my points. I could’ve just drew with my normal hunting buds on a different draw. My wife was more pissed about it than I was.

canamrider07

Reaction score
You did the right thing with all you did for him. Maybe he will appreciate it, maybe not. Also, being a coworker you don't want to look like the "bad guy" ( when you were not) by saying something. I had a similar outing like that happen with a friend. It rubbed me the wrong way but I kept my mouth shut. I invited the guy so I learned not to invite him on this type activity (camping). We are still friends, and I even forgot it happened until I read your thread. I once climbed Half Dome with a group of 5 friends. We ran out of water on the way back. One guy that was in better shape then the rest of us, went ahead of us, filled up our water bottles where he could, and brought them back to us. I never forgot that..

canamrider07

Reaction score
That’s awesome that he did that for you, canamrider.
It was. We had one guy that really struggled to get to the top and he ran out of water. So we all shared our water and ran out. From these old pics you can probably tell who ran out of water. I'm the guy with the "Aussie" type hat.

Attachments

MooreTitan

Reaction score
Lesson learned. Sucks that it had to happen. Hopefully you get a big one. It’s hard hunting with other people. I usually like to drive so either way they are stuck until we/I leave. I try to let them know exactly what they are getting into before they get into the truck

emarquez4

Reaction score
Great work on your end- Sounds like that's something that should have been discussed prior to going on that trip-- regardless- don't take him back with you- Personally I'd be pissed.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Holy chit, another BAD SANTA in the making, when do these American Hunter Horror Stories end, I guess it the year of Bad Santa’s...lol
It reminds me of the movie title “The Sacrifice” because u definitely made a sacrifice for your friend who benefited for u putting him first instead of yourself.
Well sorry to hear about it especially that it’s a friend, I guess he might not b on the next hunting trip.....tra

imperial valley hunter

Reaction score
Everyone is different so we can only speculate why he left... It happens man. I hunt in 85-100 degree weather so I tell my buddies if I score a buck i'm outta here. But the next weekend i'm down to go out and help them (if family life permits). We all have families and some can only be out a day or two. Sometimes only go for a few hours.

I guess now you know how he hunts and probably isn't a good hunting partner for future hunts. Co-worker... well if you guys are kinda cool with each other, give him shit at work and maybe he will get the point. How did he act the last 6 years, did he hunt with you? Nice looking buck btw.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Hrmm... ok... so no threat to the meat. What about the hide and skull? Or could they fit in the cooler also?

Sucks... but it does sound like one of those things that should have been discussed and for sure agreed upon before the outing. Some of us just don't know the etiquette of these things.

Like for me... being newer to it all... I remember being glad that I asked about the meat situation when you're hunting with another person. I just assumed if you shot it, that you get to take it all home. But then other folks were saying varying things... some saying the other guy should get half, some saying at least a percentage and that it should be agreed upon ahead of time.

Hasn't been an issue for me yet, since have only gotten them when solo so far. But I was glad to have asked that question on a forum. Expectations need to be clear ahead of time. Out in the field all hot and out of it is not the time to be figuring that stuff out.

TheGDog

Reaction score
One guy that was in better shape then the rest of us, went ahead of us, filled up our water bottles where he could, and brought them back to us. I never forgot that..
I know exactly how that feels! While exiting D11 with this younger guy who is about half my age... I missed a turn on these switchbacks... I continued and followed up a drainage path. Then realized I missed a turn some ways back. I was tired and didn't want to back-track. I could look upwards and clearly see where the switchback came back around and figured I'd just say EFF it and pioneer up to that line up there and hopefully catch back up with him. He saw this, I shouted out my intention, he watched the whole struggle go down. OMG!!! Traction was almost non-existant! Had to look for and step on the backs of tufts of grasses for footholds... THEN... I come upon a baby rattler while on these super steep pioneering job I'm doing. So I had to stay still... at that super steep angle... calves BURNING and quivering... waiting for that damn juvenile rattler to finally relax and slink away enough that I could resume the ascent!

Thankfully that young man decided it was wise to descend down after that stand-off with the rattler and help me by hauling my pack the 10 or 15 yds or so left to get up to catching back up with that switchback trail line.

I get up there and I am WHIPPED man!

Like part of my face and lips were drooping.... from a prior trauma injury years ago that caused damage to my facial nerves on that side.

We're now not all that far from Hwy 2 and the cars. But I've hit the wall in terms of heat buildup. And get this! So he decides to go ahead to the cars and fetch a watter bottle or two, because my water bladder just ran out a lil bit before all this went down.

And FML... where I decide to sit down off the side of the trail, in this bit of shade once I got up to the switchback trail line? I'm there for maybe 30 seconds and then OWWWW!!!! Bleepin' Fire Ant bites me just above the waist of my pants! In my tiredness I didn't see there were some of them roaming about the area my dumb butt happened to plop down in! they weren't on the dirt of the trail at all, so didn't notice them. Lovely.

Rob P

Reaction score
Gdog, that was not your day, but what doesn't kill you make you stronger.

IVH, this was only our second year hunting together.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Gdog, that was not your day, but what doesn't kill you make you stronger.
Shoot... if that's the case... then I'm like beyond a Deity by now! HA!

Seriously ran outta water once, had 3.5 miles and 2300ft of ascent to go in D11! That was legitimately scary as hell. Then this episode I talked about. Then had my footing slip on the last rock crossing a creek and shattered by left wrist about 4/5 miles in. Got a plate that looks like a Gillette Mach 3 in there and 13 screws in that damn thing. And I really do kinda need to schedule them to have a surgery to finally go in and take the metal all back out. But I end up keep being busy with hunting stuff and then family stuff and end up never bothering to do it.

Plus decades worth of MtnBike, and DirtBike injuries. "The gift that keeps on giving!"

Last edited:

Top Bottom