first trail cam

weekender21

Reaction score
I'm about to buy my first trail cam and need some advice. I want a moderately priced camera with good trigger speed and IR capability. I'm leaning towards a Cuddyback. Is this a good choice? Durability, simplicity, and reliability are all qualities I'm looking for. I'm hoping to leave it out for up to two weeks at a time, is that reasonable?

weekender21

Reaction score
Almost forgot, I'm also considering a Moultrie 4.0 with IR....

inspector

Reaction score
I have an I40 and like it fine. It takes great pictures. You can add an external battery to it or Moutries panel/battery set up. The Scout Guard 550 is a nice cam as the Steatlh I-540 at 120.00.

Sumpnneedskillin

Reaction score
I bought a bushnell trophy cam. Did some internet shopping and got the one with the lcd screen for previewing for $175.

According to the ads it's supposed to last 1 year on 8 AA batteries. We'll see. It's supposed to have quick response time of about 1 sec. It also has IR capability.

I haven't had a chance to take it up the hill yet but I've had it set up in the back yard. It takes some pretty decent pics. I even went out after dark and walked around and checked out the nite time pics. They looked pretty good.

I also shopped around and found a lock box ($35) for it that works pretty good using a python cable.

If you're gonna set a cam up on Laguna or Palomar make sure you lock it up or it'll walk off.

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
Run from the Cuddy. Back in the day they used to be good cameras, but for the past few years their cameras have been sub-par for the price.

I recommend a Scoutguard 550 for your first camera. It has a fast trigger, a long battery life, it takes good pictures, and IMO the best video of any commercial trail camera on the market. Its in the $200 or less range. I own two and they rock.

After you've played with your first trail cameras for a while and get an idea as to what to look for, you then might want to move up to the high-grade cameras. There are really only two brands right now that are "top-of-the-line." Those would be the Buckeyes and the Reconyxs. Those are going to start in the $400 range and up. I own a Buckeye. The picture quality is so-so, but the reliability of the camera is top-notch.

weekender21

Reaction score
I ended up with the new Bushnell that takes AA's. So far so good. Great videos, great pictures, I can't complain. It's about 1/3 the size of the average trail camera.

Reaction score
I love the Covert cameras made by DLC. I use both the Covert 1 and 2 and like them both for their small size, great battery life, pic and video quality and the versatility of setup. They are small and easy to hide. With the new Tree60 camera mount system you can put your cam on smaller branches or logs or whatever to make it harder to detect.

A collection of pics and video set to music for your enjoyment:
Video with music showing sample video and photos

Latest Posts

Top Bottom