FIRST Turkey Harvested FINALLY !!!!

radioleo

Reaction score
Hello ALL on JHO,

Well this is how the story begins have two trips planned for spring turkey season many months ago. January 2008 discovered from the Eye doctor that I had a cataract in my right eye the one I leave open when I shoot turkeys. No problem I have this surgery 02/07/08 and will be good as new before my hunting trip planned from 4/4 ~ 4/9/2008. about 6 weeks after cataract surgery I started seeing floaters and vision in my right eye was a bit foggy. I just thought it was part of the healing process. So I went back to the doctor and was told I have a Detached Retina had surgery two day later again on the right eye 3/13/08 out of work for three weeks. My eye was closed for 11 days, BUT the doctor still said I could go turkey hunting from 4/4 ~ 4/9/2008. I went hunting with a friend and both hooked up with a hunting guide 4/5 & 4/6 in the Paso Robles area had one shot at a Big Tom and MISSED ! Shot was a bad angle should have waited just a few more seconds, turkey fever, and the eye that I leave open is the one I just had surgery on. NO excusses just shot high did not get another oppurtunity but saw ALOT of turkey. Went to our next spot on on 4/7, and 4/8/2008 NO guide just us ROOKIES I really do not feel like a rookie anymore I have become a good CALLER. This would be my 9th day of Turkey Hunting still without a HARVEST. So the situation is we get to a likely area at 6:50 AM I give a call and had about two or three goobles I see a hill and I set up a hen just at the top of a ridge so any birds below would see her and not be able to see us because we were back and out of view we set up I start calling and get lots of answers and knew the birds were getting close because I could hear several DRUMMING suddenly I just see a full FAN of a gobbler strutting my friend had the better view he shot and misses he shoots high once that happened about ten birds flushed in all directions. Man did that happen fast. We bugged out of that area and let it settle down for about 6 hours came back to that area at about 1:00 P.M. my friend spots a tom walking away from him at about 70 yard we back out and were not seen. So again we set up and I give a call he gobbles right back and he is very close he makes a turn in our direction this TIME I feel he will pop up behind some mesquite bushes at 25 yards in front on me. I hear him drumming so I know he is very close put the gun up on my left knee heart PUMPING !! aim with my BAD eye in the direction I think he will appear and YES he appears between to mesquite bushes and I shoot BANG.......WOW !!!!!!!!!!! I yell to my friend and say I think I got him jump to my feet and heard that beautiful sound of wings flapping and hitting the ground. Finally I have harvested my first turkey I was in HEAVEN !!!! 17.3 lbs, 3/4 inch spurs, and 6 inch beard.

I Just LOVE Turkey Hunting !!!!!!!

I need to resize the pictures I will put up the pictures on Thurs, or Friday

radioleo

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Welcome to the adiction! You always remember your first!

buckspotter

Reaction score
Great job doing yourself and it only took 9 days! let's see a pic. It took me 10 years of turkey hunting public land to finally kill a tom. That was 15 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday!

Metdawg44

Reaction score
Congrats to you on your first bird.
It's an awesome feeling.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nice shootin Leo.
The first one's always special.

Latest Posts

Advertisement