First Turkey

TruShot

Reaction score

Here's a look at my first turkey I shot Monday. It was 23lbs. had a 10" beard and 1.5" spurs.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
TruShot, Congrats on your bird :toast-yellow:  Thats a nice looking bird.

MBullism

Reaction score
Nice Bird!  Congrats!  Those are some nice hooks...

M

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Congratulations on old Tommy,very nice bird,Dont you almost hate to skin them,just want to admire them for awhile huh?

KsBowhunter

Reaction score
Congrats on a nice tom!!

Passthru, I'd much rather skin 'em than pluck 'em!! lol

RSB

Reaction score
Congrats TruShot,very nice bird. I would say yes on skin'em

Welby

Reaction score
That's a good turkey, a real good turkey!  Congratulations!

Around here we call those limbhangers or ....excuse me ladies...."bulldickers".

TruShot

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It was a great morning hunt and the best part is I ha a friend their to help call him in. It's alot more fun with someone else there to enjoy it with.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
WOW, that birds has some hooks on him.

Very Nice.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nice un TruShot. Did he come in fast or did he play around with you for awhile?

metalkingdom

Reaction score
Those spurs look dangerous!  He used to be a T-Rex once upon a time.  Congratulations on a very nice first turkey!!!

killinturks

Reaction score
definately a good one. as to skinning or plucking have any of you tried using a turkey fryer to heat water for scalding them? i git out the biggest pot i had and started filling it.it would have been pretty tough trying to fit a bird in there. my baby says "hey why dont you heat  that water in your new fryer".  made sense to me. i had hot water in 5 minutes and plenty of it. it was the first time i scalded and it makes a fast job of it.

TruShot

Reaction score
He came in pritty fast. As fast as he could He strutted the whole way about 200 yards across an open field. He and another one were together and once they got to our decoys they were strutting and spitting it was great. We had a steady stream of turkeys. As we were walking to the spot the clowds broke and the full moon shined down and Turkeys started gobbling all over. We got set up and right at dawn we had 9 come down across the field a small jake a larger one and 7 hens. They came across the field about 50 yards up the tree line I was sitting in. The small jake and 5 of the hens came down to the decoys and strutted around for at least 10 minutes. The larger one stayed away with one hen. I didn't shoot the small one because I figured the larger one was comming. Then they all went into the trees and behind me and the larger one never came down. Then a solo Jake started comming across the field he came slow and when he finally got about 45 yards out all of a sudden he took off and ran into the trees to our left. I was wondering what was going on when I looked up and saw these two big Gobblers on the othe side of the field strutting back and forth. So we started calling them and they crisscrossed eachother all the way accross the field. When they got finally got in the decoys they were strutting back and forth and spitting I had to wait several minutes to get a shot because they were in front of each other. Then I got my shot and thats the one I took. Long story Great hunt.

killinturks

Reaction score
sounds like you got a good bird population there, or else you were set up on a turkey interstate highway. congrats, you gotta love a day like that. i visited  a friend once who lived in savanna. it looked like pretty good turkey country down there, although on the map you appear to be bout 100 miles south and farther from the river. it sure was pretty there.

maytom

Reaction score
Impresive bird for sure!! Those spurs will be tuff to beat!! Way to go!!

Lankyman

Reaction score
TruShot,

Congrats on the awesome 1st bird.  That is a real trophy.  Those hooks are sweet.  That's a true limbhanger.

Top Bottom