First Whitetail Hunt, Nebraska!

cjack

Reaction score
This hunt was a first for me on several fronts, it was my first whitetail hunt, my first time in a tree stand and my first trip to Nebraska. What an experience it was, even though I didn't get off a shot, after six mornings and six evenings in a tree stand I came away with a better understanding of how whitetail hunting from a tree stand works. I had several things working against me, it was early season, it was not during the rut and I had no experience hunting from a tree stand. It took me a couple of days to get over my fear of heights and to get comfortable being 20 feet up in a tree that was swaying in the wind most of the time. Even with the odds stacked against me I still had several nice 8 point bucks walk by me at 30yds unfortunately they were both just on the other side of a barb wire fence that I was told was off limits, you guys have no idea how hard it was to hold off on those shots! It was just so cool to have so many deer walk right by me or under me and not have a clue I was there, mostly does. The guide said I can come back during the rut if I would like but Nebraska is one heck of a long drive for this So. Cal. kid! I just wanted to share a little part of my Nebraska adventure with ya'll.............for some reason I'm having trouble uploading pictures, hopefully I can share a few when I get the problem resolved.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
cjack, it sounds like you had a very enjoyable trip despite not pulling the trigger. Thanks for the update!

TheGDog

Reaction score
I never thought about that! About the swaying of the tree itself... eeesh! I got a small glimpse of that feeling of them not knowing you're there. Started using the 3D Leafy Camo stuff and it works very well! And re: the feeling of seeing one behind the barbed wire... I get that feeling every single time I see a doe without a fawn! Sooo wanna just pop'em.. butcha can't!

cjack

Reaction score
I'l try to upload a video of the wind conditions. BTW this was an archery hunt which made it even more of a challenge for me to stand up and draw my bow while being on such a small platform.

inchr48

Reaction score
Yep, watching those deer come in will get your knees knocking even if you aren't afraid of heights. Glad you enjoyed the experience.

Attachments

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
It would have been a crying shame if you drove all that way sat in the swaying tree 20+ feet high 6 days and 6 nights and didn't see a thing.
I'm sure that bow string felt a tug when you gazed on those 8 points, the adrenaline must have been a rush.
Question? when coming down those steps did your knees bob up and down like someone shaking a dressing bottle?
Or did if feel like you were on a boat all day and the ground continued to move under you once you got down ?

Last edited:

cjack

Reaction score
No I didn't have any problems getting my land legs back, every step down the ladder gave me more and more relief but by the third day I was comfortable sitting in the stand however I still had some trepidation about standing for a shot!

Last edited:

inchr48

Reaction score
I set my safety strap so I have just enough room to sit down (using HSS safety vest). I have stood and leaned out against the strap for a shot upon occasion. You get used to it.

cjack

Reaction score
I have the HSS safety vest too and I learned of that technique where you lean out using the strap for stability on the last day of my hunt and never got a chance to try it. I am anxious to get out and try whitetail hunting from a stand again next year, a truly exhilarating experience. Thanks inchr!

KTKT70

Reaction score
Sounds like a real good trip buddy. I bet it was hard not to go after the bucks across the fences. It's almost like they know they are safe some how. Good luck with the rest of the season out here if you have tags left.

cjack

Reaction score
Sounds like a real good trip buddy. I bet it was hard not to go after the bucks across the fences. It's almost like they know they are safe some how. Good luck with the rest of the season out here if you have tags left.
Thanks KTKT70! It WAS very difficult to do the right thing with those bucks because I was so deep into private property and those bucks were just inches from the fence. I very easily could have shot one and said it crossed after I shot it or simply recovered it and nobody would have been the wiser, but that's just not me or something I could be proud of.
As far as knowing they were safe, I'm not so sure. There were several occasions where they crossed over behind me where I just couldn't get a shot off. I still have a few opportunities left but if my past success is any indication I will need all of the luck I can get! Good luck to you as well.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom