Fish kill provokes call for reforms.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Fish kill provokes call for reforms.

Tom Stienstra,    Wednesday, July 11, 2001

IN A stunning move, a conservation leader has called for organizations to join in a statewide initiative to take away the governor's power to appoint the director of the Fish and Game Department.

"Maybe we've got to make it an elected position, something, to change what is happening," said Jay Sorensen, founding president of the California Striped Bass Association.

Sorensen and others have talked in the past about such a move, perhaps by putting together a ballot initiative that would grant the power to appoint the DFG director to an independent commission or make the position subject to statewide election.

But this time the idea is fueled by fresh disappointment and anger, Sorensen said. The catalyst was a recent story detailing that DFG management ordered game wardens to back off when a massive fish kill was in progress.

This occurred in Siskiyou County on the Scott and Shasta Rivers, where hay farmers placed diversions in both rivers and then illegally dewatered both streams. Game wardens estimated that 6,000 salmon, steelhead and trout were killed.

"I read that story about how all the water was taken out of those streams and all the fish died," Sorensen said. "I saw that and said, 'We've got to do something.' "

Both streams are still being dewatered. This is an apparent ongoing violation of Fish and Game Code Section 5937, which requires that water must be allowed to flow in streams below diversions to keep fish in good condition.

DFG Director Bob Hight has yet to make a statement or answer questions explaining the DFG's lack of action in the case, and Sacramento radio commentator Bob Simms is now calling him, Bob "In Hiding" Hight.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Electing a director? Now that's a good one!!! We'll have the same quality politicians running and the same people voting that elected the Clintons, Condit, and the Kennedys. Plus we'll have PETA and the Sierra Club trying to push their people in. DFG is already way too screwed up to give the libs and animal rights wackos an open door to push their people and agendas. I'd rather live with what the governor gives us.    Scott

Bishop

Banned
Reaction score
Yaa, the director can be voted in by the same populace who voted to ban mountain lion hunting, and trapping.  
Then the new director can put a moritorium on issuing hunting and fishing licenses until more study is completed on the mental distress animals and fish may suffer from being pursued and shot at by humans.  
Tom Hayden's always looking for a way to make a living at the expense of the tax payers , so he may run for this new position.
There's got to be a better way to select the F&G director than a election campaign funded by Greenpeace, Peta, Friends of Animals, Sierra Club, Earth First, etc.

grizz

Reaction score
Maybe let only people with hunting and fishing licences vote for the director.  If the pukes at peta want to vote they'ed they have to buy a licence.  But that still could be risky.  It 's a shame that dfg isn't doing nothing about the fish being left to die up there. But I don't think let the populas vote for director would be wise.  

Swampy

Reaction score
I have heard other states have their fish and game commission select directors. How do other states select theirs so it is not such a political position? Anyone?  

hunter mike

Reaction score
The current DFG director (Hight) is a lawyer that has worked for Gray Davis for over 20 years.  I suspect that is how he was appointed for his position.  Any way you propose to select a director it will be political.  It is too bad that the current director is a loyalty appointment rather than a meritorious one.

jerry d

Reaction score
I hope this group re-thinks this issue or we may get the same quality people running the DFG that run the DMV. Now wouldn't that be just peachy.

If the farmers are in violation - arrest them, file a complaint with the Attorney General, anything except letting the general population anywhere near the DFG. It's screwed up enough the way it is.

Remember what Mike Riley reminded us. Sportsman/women organizations spend their $$ on conservation and habitat. Anti's spend their $$ on PR and attorneys.

The mere thought of something in that direction is frightening. It's amazing how we sometimes insist on shooting ourselves in the foot. We wouldn't stand a "snow balls chance in hell" in this state.

Anyone know someone in this organization that will listen to reason???

Top Bottom