Fished Bishop and north area last week end.

quack_head

Reaction score
Left Friday night, took two of my boys fishing. They have been working weekends to go. Fished Owens above Crowley Sat. One bite. Threw everything at them, midges, cad dis, woolly buggers, nothing taking. Moved to Hot creek still nothing.

Moved to Deadman's creek I caught 1 brown and 2 Alpers. Montana caught a cut throat. Sunday, fished Rock creek, Convict creek and lake. Wound up back at Dead mans creek. 3 cut throat, 2 rainbow, 2 Alpers.

Trip was OK. I didn't care for the Mammoth business area. I went in to Trout fitters in Mammoth with my twelve year old. I bought 12 flies and something for my 12 year old, $29.00. My twelve year old asks the guy a question about the lakes and the guy is to good to be bothered by a twelve year old. I will write Sage and others of this. As well, I will send the owner a letter.

Gas was 4.00+.

buckfever07

Reaction score
I was up that way for the opener and it was very slow for everyone as well.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I don't go into the trout fitter. They are jerk off's. In fact I don't go into any of the fishing stores in mammoth or bishop.
All I do is read the board at Rick's and then see the usual.

For flies go to BlueFlyCafe.com
And also try Fortackle.com for other supplies.
Ebay is very good for fly gear as well. Especially fly line.

Was there a hatch of any kind going on?

Very tiny Elk Hair Caddis and very small Adams patterns work well for me.
As well as Prince Nymphs. Hairs Ears. Zebra's. WD40's and Pheasant Tails.

All the guides are hangin out above the confluence of the Owens and Hot Creek.
I don't mind telling. I like to piss the guides off occasionally.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I used the Black Ant last year for the first time as well.
Worked very good on a slow day.
And very tiny Brassies.

gc4279

Reaction score
I've never been into Troutfiters in Mammoth but I have heard a lot of others complain about there customer service.
Sierratradingpost.com is another good site for fly line. If they have the wt you are looking for there "bargain barn" has some outstanding deals.
Gary C.

Orygun

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I don't mind telling. I like to piss the guides off occasionally.[/b]
There are scant few fly shops that I have been to that are full of smug so and sos. Unless you fly to Patagonia and or hit the Green or do Labrador each year, you ain't worth spit. if your gear ain't worth more than the average working family's car, it's the same.

Maybe it was "That Damn Movie" but as soon as the fly fishing became a boutique hobby of the snobbery, each fly shop I go is was like that.

There is a fly shop near Chiloquin Oregon where the downer would actually talk to the common man. Buy a few flies and he set you up on the best public water for the latest hatch going on. He even had 1/4 mile of frontage he'd let you fish if you bought something.

You get great service at bait shops most places that also sell flies, but the fly only places are ones I can do without.

quack_head

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tmoniz @ May 14 2008, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't go into the trout fitter. They are jerk off's. In fact I don't go into any of the fishing stores in mammoth or bishop.
All I do is read the board at Rick's and then see the usual.

For flies go to BlueFlyCafe.com
And also try Fortackle.com for other supplies.
Ebay is very good for fly gear as well. Especially fly line.

Was there a hatch of any kind going on?

Very tiny Elk Hair Caddis and very small Adams patterns work well for me.
As well as Prince Nymphs. Hairs Ears. Zebra's. WD40's and Pheasant Tails.

All the guides are hangin out above the confluence of the Owens and Hot Creek.
I don't mind telling. I like to piss the guides off occasionally.[/b]
I caught most of mine on a black ant, my 16 year old has been tying flies for 6 months now. We will just use his. He tied us some Elk hair caddis, and woolley buggers.

Very little hatch, most we saw was in deadmans creek.

Seems to me most the guides are crooks. 350.00 for a day. I am not the type to use a guide for fishing or hunting. I saw fishing lesson brochures all over town. 375.00 for one day with a BBQ.

I was just about to drag that little creep across the counter and teach him some manners. Last thing I wanted to do was ruin Montana's fishing trip.

Only fly shop we deal with is here in Bakersfield, Buzz's or Kern river fly. I paid 100.00 for 5 nights, class on fly tying for my 16 year old. They were down there from 6:00 to 9:30 every Tuesday.

weto

Reaction score
second the blueflycafe.com. Thier flys appear to be good quality and they ship very quickly. pretty inexpensive too. Bought some flys from them for the opener this year. ordered on thursday and recieved them on saturday.

D9BUCKKLR

Reaction score
I myself have not fly fished yet , but I do spend alot of time up there. and I have found if you need any lures ,line,powerbait,eggs,etc.. stop at Kmart in bishop. they have a preety good inventory and you wont spend as much. or the rite aid im mammoth. mammoth is just expensive all the way around. a driver for vons told me one time that the vons in mammoth is the highest in the nation.. not sure if thats true or not. but i will still go everychance i get :)

Top Bottom