Fishing update

upperEA

Reaction score
Well the fish are still hitting like crazy we are averaging 10 each trip. Got some nice ones, biggest so far is 25 pounds, Taken two guys out so far that have never fished salmon before that is by far the best time, matter of fact one guy bought a boat trader on the way home I think he's hooked
Now for the bad news went out Thursday and my motor started ticking bad and all of a sudden it started back firing through the carb bad. Got it home and started it up and began to pull plug wires got to #3 and it ran like a champ on three cyl. Well pulled the valve cover and a rocker arm came off
So I get a new one and go out again same thing happens not to waste a day I troll on three cyl for about 3 hours. Go home pull the valve cover again a diffrent cyl
Ok I go to the salvage yard and tear apart a motor and get 6 rockers off a ford ranger. Change the bad one a go fishing It does it again so I'm on the water and pull this thing apart It's a diffrent cyl again. Well I put all 6 of the new ones on and sure as shit it happens again so the boat is in the barn and a new cam and 8 new rockers are on there way. I read that ford 2.3lts are know for the cams going bad on them. the only thing is the cam looked ok at first but now I can see some wear. The bright side I did a compression check and all the cyl have about 170 pound of compression in them so this sould do the trick and it will cost under $100
Hoope so suppose to go to St Ignace on sunday to meet a buddy and try our luck over that way. Get to see how the other half live we will be fishing right around Mackinaw island
Oh by the way I have 20 jars of canned smoked salmon I'll save some for you guys if we ever hook up. One more thing got two deer on our crop damage permitts so far smoke some of that too

bowjedi

Reaction score
Wow, sounds like your having a great year for catching fish!
How 'bout posting some more pics.

Sorry to hear about your engine trouble. You're right about those 2.3 liters. Overhead cam = bad design. No oil getting to the cam shaft!

At least you were able to limp her back to the dock.
I was out trolling in Lake Huron last month and the engine died about 3 miles from the dock. Thank God for cell phones. It cost me $9.00 in roaming charges to make one 10 second phone calll, but at least we got towed back in. Funny thing was, while we were getting towed we figured the speed was about right for trolling, so we dropped the downriggers and pulled in a salmon on the way back!

By the way where abouts are you fishing? I am guessing the U.P. Lake Michigan, Huron, Superior? Oh, and when are you gonna post the GPS coordinates for all these hot spots? (j/k)

upperEA

Reaction score
Hey Bowjedi on the cam situation do you think running 20-50 may help I figure It is only ran in warmer weather and may help with the lub problem. I live 100 miles west of the bridge in a town called cooks I launch out of Manistique If you ever get up this way let me know I will be happy to show ya the spots we fish, I'll see if I can't get the GPS cords posted. I do fish Superior now and then Lakers are a blast when you bring them up 200 feet. Here's a pic from Saturday morning we caught four bigger ones Saturday night but gave them to the guys who towed us in....

Attachments

bigdaddyk

Reaction score
Nice fish upper. I have some good friend that live in Gould City right of Hwy2.

MIBowhunter

Reaction score
Upper,

Sounds like your fishing is going great, that is one thing about having set-ups like that parts for the engine come a lot cheaper than on a outboard.

Good luck.

MIB

bowjedi

Reaction score
upper...
I don't know how to solve the 2.3 cam problem. I've just had the same experience before with that engine in a mustang.

I was kidding about posting the GPS coordinates. Don't give out your hot spots on the 'net, might be a little crowded next time!

I have been through Cooks before, used to hunt a little farther West near Rapid River. Nowadays we usually head East. My Dad has a cottage in DeTour Village. We always spend a week there around 4th of July. Maybe I'll look you up next year (if you don't mind fishing with us "Trolls")

Here is a pic of our catch from 2002:

Attachments

upperEA

Reaction score
Hey Bow your more than welcome to come on up and do some fishing always looking for fishing partners. As far as the cords go It's not hard fiding the fish around here Getting them to bite is another story. Got the cam repalced on the boat runs like a champ. I had 40 psi oil pressure before swithched to 20-40 and now have 75-80psi. Got a notice with the new cam stating they have lots of cam failures on these eng. Lube problems are the main cause so I hope this does it. I can understand why the other lobes went after the first one, there was alot of gas in the oil from the valve on the one cyl. not opening..
Hope to get out tomarrow and see what happens...

MIBowhunter

Reaction score
Upper,

Glad to hear it's up and running. Got to get more fish for your bait piles!!!

MIB

upperEA

Reaction score
went out by myself today and got one about 15 pounds. You guys are probley starting to think "Man don't this guy have any friends"? Actully when i go fishing it is usually on a wim and dependant on the weather (which was AWSOME today) I only went out for about an hour and a half because I worked last night and was getting tired. Sorry no pic...

Top Bottom