Fixed Focus problems

BowDoc

Reaction score
Finished my first cam with the cheap fixed focus camera. Camera takes pic fine outside the case but the first roll from the field are blurred. Could it be the plexi glass lens is making the camera out of focus. I have built a second cam without a lens. But i was wondering what you guys thought. Other then this problem I have most of the bugs worked out. Found that useing D batteries is giving my a good two weks service out of the camera

hamiltoe

Reaction score
BowDoc,
I also used plexi-glass on the first cam I built.  I wasn't happy with the pictures, so replaced it with glass.  I've heard of others getting good pictures using plexi-glass, but I never had any luck.
Hamiltoe

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi hamiltoe - I'm getting good pictures with plexi-glass, but with thin 1/16" thick stuff.  The glossy prints are clear, but the scanner at Wal*Mart reduces the quality quite a bit.

BowDoc

Reaction score
I am useing thin plexi. I think you can use it if you have an auto focus. Maybe I will have to switch to glass

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi BowDoc,
I now use 3/16" plexi windows exclusively - both with fixed-focus and auto-focus cams.  I used tempered glass windows on an early cam and while trucking the camera over a steep, rocky ridge I lost my footing and fell down - and of course smashed the camera windows to bits!  If the windows were plexi, the worst would have been just a scratch.
>>>>>>
You need to use a very high quality of plexiglas - at least on the lens window.  The typical stuff available at hardware stores used for storm windows is often not very flat (from an optical perspective)
Unfortunately, my latest sheet of plexi is so cut up I can't read the manufacturer name or material type off of it.  If you do a web-search about 'plexiglas + optical + properties' you'll find lots of info.  Some manufacturers give detailed optical characteristcs of their products.  Choose a product with very flat, parallel surfaces and high transmission in the visible and near infra-red.

As a *very general* rule it seems that the higher the cost of the plexi, the better the optical properties.  Since you'll only need a few square inches of the stuff, just by the most expensive type you can find.

Good Luck!
Archilochus

BowDoc

Reaction score
I will see what I can find in my area. Like i stated I built one with and one without a lens. I have them both in approximately the same spot. I am going to compare the photos to see how much of a different there is. If you find the name of the manufacture that made yours please let me know. I have put a roof type extension on the cam without the lens to see if it deflects rain and it has work well so far. Most of the major bug are gone not. The cameras cycle without sticking so we should have a good comparison of results

Top Bottom