Flash capacitor in PF

Zeke

Reaction score
I just got an Owl PF today and plan on modifying it tomorrow. I was wondering if the flash capacitor has a charge in it from the factory? I have not put batteries in it and wont until after the mod is done. Just wondering because me and "the juice" dont get along!  lol  Z

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Zeke, I too am a bit shy of accidentally touching the cap leads.  On one camera, I was zapped after the camera sat idle for about two months.  Some caps hold a charge better than others so you can never tell.  Personnally, before working on a cam, I place a 50 ohm power resistor across the leads of the cap for a minute or so just to make sure the cap is discharged.  Just to be safe.  

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Always a good idea to discharge caps.

I had a guy bring in an old score board for a baseball field one time and it had two caps that were probably 4 inches in diameter.  I wouldn't let anybody touch the thing until we discharged the caps.  The guy who brought it in said it hadn't been plugged in all year.  I stuck a screw driver across the lead and it popped like a  rifle.  It melted a notch out of the screw driver.  Always discharge caps.  It may not kill you but it does sting a lot.

Brian

BULL MOOSE

Reaction score
Touch it and find out! lol

I have been shocked several times by the camera. Now, I just stay away from that side. It won't kill you, but it will wake you up late at night.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Once, while training to be a TV repairman, a large, metal,  Cap blew up on a TV chassis on the next table over.  Sounded like a 12 ga going off.  I ran over there to render 1st aide (you know, the last chance to get well b-4 seeing the doctor)

Everybody was ok, the guy's shirt had capacitor intrals all over it, smoldering, he was trying to put out his shirt-fire with his hands, about a 10" dia circle of components were blown off the Circuit Board and the cap lay on the floor, at least the metal portion, all smashed flat, accordian style, from smacking the ceiling......

I asked him what happened (so I'd never do it) and he said he didnt' know, seen a little smoke then next thing "BOOM"

The instructor was laughing his butt off.......

Tinhorn

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Betweenst car coil wires and caps I wonder how many brain cells I've killed off?

In high school shop class we charged up the big metal can ones and put them in people's sack lunches or tossed them to the freshmen who naturally caught them.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
All this reminds me of one that I saw here at work a long time ago.

We built a 555 timer in the astable mode to give a modulated pulse.  We hooked this out put up to a power transister and then to a forklift starter coil.  The semi AC single generated by the 555 timer pushed through the starter coil would allow you to shoot a spark about two inches or so when the two start wires would get to close to each other.  Later I found out they had hooked the think up to a tin can with all the popcorn in it.  The one that has all the different flavored popcorn in one can and set it down in the electricians break room.  You could here people holler every now and then.  I walked in and they offered me some and I asked them where the mini shocker was and of course no one knew so  I declined the popcorn.

Brian

BOHUNTER

Reaction score
I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH POWER THE CAPACITOR HAS CHARGED, BUT IT WILL BURN THE #@$%!#@$%@# OUT OF YOU LITTLE FINGER, AND WATCH OUT CAUSE WHEN YA TAKE THE TAPE OFF THAT YOU PUT ON THERE TO KEEP FROM GETTIN FRIED, IF YA TOUCH IT AGAIN ZAP! I DONE IT TWICE IN ABT 30 MINUTES...SLOW LEARNER ...GREAT SITE AND IM PROUD TO BE A JESSIE FANATIC....WIFE HATES IT BUT SHE DONT HAVE TO GO OUT AND CHECK THEM...LOL ... FREE TYME.....THX STEVE HOLLOWAY

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom