Flash hole glass

bat

Reaction score
Does anyone use a Filter over/in their Flash holes.  I got a ''really'' good buy off of e-bay for some and wondered if they would be a problem using UV type Filter here.  Don't think there would be but wanted to ask more experienced people before installing.  Thanks! :batwings:

swampfox

Reaction score
all i do is cut a piece of the clear plastic out of the package that my owls come in. its pretty durable. cut a piece about the size of a quarter and silicone it in. you can also cut a small piece for a counter view window and silicone it in too. it s cheap, and you already have it around if you bought your owls new. i have taken several pics through it with no problems and if i ever need a new piece i already have it on hand. not to mention saving the extra money from not buying on ebay! good luck

davered1

Reaction score
You can just run a piece of glass, Then you can save your UV filters for camera where they do make a difference.

woodsman

Reaction score
Glass works the best. 3x4 pice of glass covers all the holes, no filters on my cams  

davered1

Reaction score
Hey woodsman, What do you seal your cameras with those coyote pics are pretty clear. Do you split the glass and run 2 pieces so the flash doesn't bleed through? I do , maybe I'm just wasting my time though

bat

Reaction score
thanks guys, I know about all the ways you are telling me to do it, just wanted to see if anybody had tried the filters over the flash.  I got a great buy on uv filters and wanted to make my cam look more professional with the rings on the front.  Didn't want to use them if there was a drawback to using them over the flash.  Thanks MB and Shrtcrkt for responding to my messages.

(Edited by bat at 11:13 pm on Mar. 31, 2002)

jayber

Reaction score
bat,
I know I've seen a few using the filters for the flash hole. I don't think you'll gain or lose any measureable flash intensity and/or distance.  I just don't do it 'cause glass can be so cheap and easy to cut.

woodsman

Reaction score
Hi  davered1 I use a single piece of glass and surround the flash with weather stripping , the self adhesive kind JOB LOT $ 1.39 for 10' it's been working grate ,no need to plit the glass

(Edited by woodsman at 9:02 pm on April 1, 2002)

Top Bottom