Flash shock? on PF?

cgchris99

Reaction score
I saw a mention of flash shock and possible short on this site.

If I have never put batteries in the camera.  Do I need to worry about this?

Is is possible to short out the camera or flash unit if I screw this up and touch the wrong contact?

And how long does it take to discharge once the batteries are removed?

Thanks

Possum

Reaction score
With no batteries I doubt there is a charge in it.  However, I would not test it with my finger.  Look at Jesses page on how to modify the OWL and you will see the flash Capacitor (I think that is what it is called) and where it is located.  Simply put a piece of electrical tape across the entire top of the camera where that piece is.  You don't have to have it on there tight, just covering the wires.  

I don't have any idea how long the charge stays in there.  Probably a good while.

(Edited by Possum at 1:37 pm on Sep. 19, 2001)

bigmandude

Reaction score
wow...just had a flashback of all those parts flying accross my kitchen...

who was it that had the steak knife incident???

bigmandude

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
cgchris, I purchased an OWL PF at Walmart new in the box.  I took it out and opened it up to wire it.  I always check the capacitor first to make sure there is no charge on it.  Believe it or not, the capacitor was charged!  I guess this is the left over charge used to test the camera at the factory.  I would not think the capacitor would hold a charge that long but I guess it does.  Anyway, I discharged the capacitor using a large power resistor that can be found at Radio Shack.  Do not short the terminals together on the capacitor to discharge it!.  If you do, it will result in a loud POP, followed shortly by your body shacking, parts flying, and finally followed up by your wife yelling at you.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Jaggermax

Which Cap is for the Flash, I took a look last time I opened one (Owl PF) and didn't  recognize it?

One of my cams flash Charge is so slow, I'm thinking about repalcing the cap and seeing if it helps.

Thanx

Tinhorn

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn, I had the PF camera open about two months ago and it is now in the woods.  If my memory serves me right, I believe the flash capacitor was on the right side of the camera under the flash bulb.  It will be the very large electrolytic capacitor about 1/2" in diameter and 1 1/2" long.  I remember seeing it, but I don't remember if it was easlily removeable.  I just looked at my Fuji camera and an Olympus camera laying around and they both have the capacitor way up inside the camera, making it hard to get too.  If you get it out, you can get some cheap replacment caps from Marlin Jones and Associates or Alltronics (around $2.00 each).  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
Happened to have a disassembled Owl PF sitting on my workbench.  The flash cap is located in the bottom of the cam.  There is a metal plate that holds all those film drive gears in place - the cap is under that.  Watch out that the gears don't head for the hills when you take the plate off.

I don't know if you'll have much luck finding an "off-the-shelf" retail supplier for a high voltage cap that will fit in that space though.  If you can't find one, I bet someone here has a dead PF and would send you the flash cap from it.

Also, if you can find one that fits, you'll need one that has VERY low leakage currents (rare for high voltage/capacity  caps)  - otherwise the charge will quickly drain off internally.

Archilochus

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn,

I just happened to have a dead PF that got wet when a friend did not seal the box all the way while in use.  I have totally disscected the camera and you are welcome to the capacitor if you want it.  While taking this apart I have noticed that these are not easy to get to even though it is visible from the bottom.  Be very careful taking this camera apart because there are little wires running everywhere not to mention the gears.

Brian

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx for the info guys

This camera is the one that I've complained about before, it takes 7 seconds to go off after only 24 hrs, that is, till I used the Refresh Pulse to keep it charged.  For the time being anyway, it goes off in about 1-1/4 secs but I expect to have the cap fail on down the road.  Guess it better be kaput tho, before I attemp a replacment huh......

Brian

Some time back, several guys reported breaking off the traces at the junction of the horiz and vert Boards, can you see where these traces go so they can posibbly add jumbers on the Vertical (Lens side) board?  This would be pins 4,5, & 6 I'm talking about.  We told them to hang onto the camera's with broken traces because someone may find how to make jumpers work.......

Thanx

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn,

These pins go to the LCD from the microprocessor located on the vertical board.  It would almost be impossible to jumper these unless you can remove the green mask right at the point where the jumpers were broke.  The only other option would be at the micro and to remove  this you run the risk of breaking a whole bunch of wires.  I would try to scrap the green mask back to a point where I could solder the the exposed trace and jumper back to the vertical board.  If the traces are broke on the vertical board then this would be a mess.  The utmost care would need to be taken in removing the board to get to the underside.  There are screws everywhere.

I assume you are not interested in the flash capacitor.   If you can get to the cap it is just taped inside with two sided tape.  It has two wires soldered to the connections.  Let me know.

Brian

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Brian

I have never seen any of the cams with broken traces but assume they soldered (or attempted to solder) wires at the junction of the two boards where they are soldered together.

SO from what you're telling me, the cam is pretty much a LOSS if that's where the damage occurred, no easy way to add jumpers down to the vertical board.

About the cap:
That's nice of you to offer the Cap and Yes, I'd like to have a spare but hate to ask you to give yours up.  What if one of yours goes South!

Thanx again

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Tinhorn,

I will look closer this weekend and see if there is a way to jumper down to the micro on the camera but if memory serves me well this would be difficult.

About the Cap.  I am using all digital right now and do not own a deer cam with an Owl in it.  All the ones I sell to friends and family have the Owl Pf's in them.  I build my cameras different than ya'll.  I use a clear plastic box to start with and leave the upper part open so light can get in and the camera only flashes at night if needed.  This may help with battery power keeping the flash at a reasonable time to power up.
If you do decide to purchase one be careful what you buy.   After reading the writing on the side of the cap it is specialized for flash operation.Anyway if you change your mind about the cap it will be in my parts bin collecting dust.  

Brian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom