Flat Flex Question

adambook

Reaction score
My brother is finishing his P41 with a Universal Pixcontroller board. The flat flex got broken so he ordered a replacement and it came without the blue, red, and black wires attached. It is simply the flat flex with no wires attached or even included.

Can he solder wires to this and make do with that? Does he need to order again and hopefully get the right piece? Can he solder some sturdier wire to the flat flex to make it more durable than the original?

Sorry for the questions, we are both new at this.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks,
AB

Outhouse

Reaction score
If you are talking about the flex cable that goes inside of the camera itself, you should be able to carefully strip away part of the plastic coating to get to the 'flat' wires/conductor. Only strip enough away to solder to on the one end and on the other end only strip enough to make good contact inside the connector. I use a soldering iron to kind of melt away some of the plastic coating and then I use an Exacto knife to scrape them clean. After you solder your external wires to the flat cable, you should put some elctrical tape on both sides to insulate it from shorting anything out inside the camera.

Does that make sense?

adambook

Reaction score
That does make sense. He has the end that goes into the camera, it's the end that gets soldered to the phone cord that hooks into the board that is missing.

Can those wires just be soldered onto the flat flex? At this point the flat flex is identical on each end, no wires whatsoever. The original, which is now broken, had the end that goes into the camera(covered with the blue plastic) and then a red, blue and black wire, each about 5 inches long coming from the other end. Those are the wires that are not there on this one.

Sorry for the confusion, is that clearer?

Top Bottom