• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Float & Bed old Stock or get a new one?

eoats

Have a Weatherby Vanguard (30-06) and I am thinking about how to tighten up my groups. Getting sub MOA has been alluding me.
Floating the barrel & bedding the action seems like it might help a bit and so I thought I'd ask here.

Thoughts about getting the factory synthetic stock fixed up or get a new one?

If getting another stock, which one? Seems Bell & Carlson's Medalist would be a good choice or maybe Hogue?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Don't spend money on an unknown. Float and bed would be my first option. Anything can happen, but it's much more likely to help than not. You can do it yourself and the satisfaction is priceless. Go for it and let us know.....

OakStuddedAcres

FYI free floating / removing the pressure points on a vanguard stock voids your accuracy guarantee. I would recommend a bell and carlson over putting money into the Tupperware stock. There is a reason for the pressure points and a reason they use b&c stocks on the range certified rifles. I would also recommend barnes bullets weatherby rifles love barnes for some reason.

freezer

Accuracy guarantee??? He's having accuracy problems. What is their guarantee? If it doesn't meet their expectations he should send it back and save his money. Other wise I would get another stock to tinker with if modifying the stock would void the warrantee. eoats do you handload?

Last edited:

OakStuddedAcres

Vanguard series 1 is 1.5" at 100 yds 3 shot group cold barrel factory ammo. Vanguard series 2 is 0.99"
If they get it to pass there is a range fee. My guess is that it will pass.
Check your scope rings, bases, action screws for correct torque use blue loc tite on them. If all those are good try another scope or ammo. Like I said barnes 165gr will work best in a 30-06 vanguard. I hand load 168gr barnes.

eoats

I don't handload.
With the Barnes 180 gr Vortex I get my best groups of about 1.5" at 100yards. 2nd best for me was the Remington 'Hog Hammer' with the Barns bullet with 165gr.
Winchester Supreme, Rem CoreLok, Fusion... all the others I tried from 125 to 180 grain had groups out to 4" at 100 yards.
Close, but want to see if I can get it tighter.

I guess on some of the Vanguard models there is a sub-MOA warrantee, but I got this one used online.
In you haven't heard of Weatherby's claim:
"SUB-MOA Accuracy Guarantee ensures .99" or less 3-shot group at 100 yards when used with Weatherby factory or premium ammunition."

Also I am shooting from a bench with just a couple of sand bags & so a certain amount of operator error is present.

OakStuddedAcres

Is it a series 1 or series 2 vanguard ? You can tell a couple of ways the trigger and safety. S1 single stage trigger 2 position safety vs S2 two stage trigger 3 position safety.
Who knows what the previous owner did to it.
I would recommend using a good copper solvent to clean the bore ie sharp shoot r wipe out or sweets 7.62
Also check your crown for any damage
What scope are you using ? Is this your first rifle and first couple boxes of ammo or is it your 5th rifle with a lot of range time?

eoats

Its the older Series 1 Vanguard.
Quite possibly it had hardly been shot, if at all. Came neatly packaged in the original factroy box, very very clean & was said to be new. Crown looks good.
No iron sights on it, so if someone did any shooting they sure cleanied up well after themselves.
I've shot 7 or 8 boxes of various ammo, so I've shot under 160 rounds.
As mentioned; 125, 150, 165 & 180 grain of Lead & copper.

It has a Leupold 'Rifleman' 3x9-40mm with the 2piece Low mounts from Weatherby (made by Talley).

My other guns are a couple of 22's & a 20ga. With my Marlin .22LR at 50 yards I can get 5 rounds grounds with 2 or 3 usually touching.

So, I think I can hit a pig at 250 yards, which is what my goal is. Since I don't get out where there's pigs much, I'm working on getting all I can out of this firestick & appreciate the advice from all of you!

freezer

OSA is still correct. Clean it well and check all the attachments. A little means a lot when you trrying fr good accuracy. It could also be the Indian and not the arrow. Next time your at the range ask a long range shooter if he'd like to shoot your rifle a couple times. Our technique or the fit of the rifle can effect the groups.

OakStuddedAcres

I'm sure it's copper fouled after that many rounds and no copper solvent. It usually gets fouled after a box or two. I see the best accuracy after a few fouling shots then it starts to degrade. I would also recommend a target that looks like your crosshairs + maybe with a red or orange circle in the middle they are easy to hold on IMO. You also want to let the barrel cool between shots if you are going for accuracy. Check you inbox.

eoats

So I see some copper solvent in my future.

View attachment 81918

Here's a target from one of my recent range visits.
This one is at 100 yards I'd like to get more time at 200 yards but then I have to drive all the way to Petaluma.

xyz123d

Regarding opening question, I bought a Howa with an injection molded stock that was really flimsy. I replaced it with a Hogue and glass bedded it. Were i to do it again, i'd spend a little more money and buy the BC stock over the Hogue. My suggestion would be to look into a better stock rather than spending time/money on the original stock. Also, check that your screws are tight holding the action into the stock. Lastly, I like Leupold products but my friend has the rifleman 3-9x40? and it broke and wouldnt track. Leupold fixed it quickly for free but the point being dont rule the scope failure out. Good luck.

Bubblehide

I would go with a floated and bedded synthetic stock as my first thing. But second, I would go with handloads made for your rifle; in other words, 1/1000 from YOUR rifles lans and groves. Those two things generally fix over 95% of accuracy problems.

IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE FIXXES, TRY A LIMBSAVER BARREL DERESONATOR. THIS IS A RUBBER DONUT THAT YOU SLIDE ONTO THE BARREL AND IT DAMPENS OUT SOME OF THE VIBRATIONS THAT ARE TRAVELING DOWN THE BARREL. THEY RUN ABOUT $20 LAST TIME I BOUGHT ONE. I TRIED IT ON A 7MAG THAT WOULDNT GROUP, AND WAS AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE. TURNED 2" GROUPS TO 1" GROUPS ON MY 7MAG. WONT CURE ALL PROBLEMS, BUT STILL A HUGE HELP ON A FACTORY BARREL. JEFF

eoats

That sure is part of it!
Its taken me a year & my first 12 rounds were just to get it on paper.
Now I feel much better about my shots, certainly able to hit a pie plate at 200 yards.
Its that last inch that would sure feel nice.

Are you sure it's the gun and you don't just suck? LOL!!!!

freezer

There's an easy way to get you rifle on target (zeroed) quickly. If you don't have a bore site remove the bolt. Set the rifle in sand bags and look down the barrel. Center the barrel on the center of the target. Now adjust the scope cross hairs (without moving the rifle) on the bulls eye. Replace the bolt, load, aim and send one down range. Rest the rifle so the scope is on the X again. Adjust the crosshairs so they're where the bullet hit. Fire another round. That should put you in the black. Reset the rifle and adjust the scope the same way after each shot until your in the 10 ring. Make the final adjustments one or two clicks at a time.

Squeezing not jerking the trigger will help and using only your finger tip only on the trigger will also help tighten groups.

eoats

So to follow up; the copper cleaner improved things quite a bit.

Thought I'd go out to 200 yards this time. 2.75" for a 6 round group is OK, for now.View attachment 82082

Here piggy piggy piggy....

Last edited:

eoats

Thanks!

I won't show the ones where I was using up some of the Remington & Winchester cheap stuff (note the hit low on the left of the target is actually from the Winchester target that was just to the Left).

Gives me some confidence to go out and harvest some of that free range organic pork when I can get some time off.

Top Bottom