Floating Decoy Tub

Jay

Reaction score
Here is the specs for my floating decoy tub. It fits perfectly in a standard pickup bed. Put some foam pipe insulation on the side rails of your Cabela's 500 lb game hauler and it rides right between the rails without tiedowns. Get to the water, lift it off, snap on a strap and away you go.  

Why a tub you say?
1. You can cart all your gear without tying it down.
2. Massive capacity. 4 dozen super mags plus gear with ease.
3. You can float kids out to the blind.
4. Great for laying 'em down and picking 'em up. Just wind and toss. No more sinking decoy bags!
5. Great for big water with no islands. Just stash the tub in the tules and put you gear inside to keep it dry.

Made with 1/8 plywood attached to 1" X 1" pine on the inside corners with sheetmetal screws. Use 1" X 2" pine around the inside top edge. Add a handle to the front and back for easy handling. Coat it inside and out with fiberglassing resin. Use bonding resin for the first coat, marine resin for the second coat. Add some coloring agent to the second coat for built in coloration.  

32 inches wide.
72 inches long.
13 inches high.
Bottom is 44 inches long.
Center section on the bottom is 21 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches deep to fit between the game haulers rails.

(Edited by Jay at 10:09 am on April 11, 2001)

(Edited by Jay at 1:39 pm on April 11, 2001)

W

wildfowl

Thx Jay.. I will get started on this when I'm not fishing this summer. Looks like a great plan and alot of guys would charge for this info. One minor problem, I use a smaller version of the Cabella's for my decoy cart, ie I bought a deer hauler from Redhead. It's alot narrower but I think it will convert if I modify your dimensions. Think it will work ?Gonna give it a try... See ya on the marsh

Jay

Reaction score
wildfowl:

I tried an earlier design that was only 22 inches wide so it would fit inside the rails of the 500 lb game hauler. The problem was that the narrower tub was too tippy in the water when loaded up.

If you modify the design, my suggestion would be to narrow the center section on the bottom so that it rides on the side rails of your game cart.  Also keep the sloping ends as they provide more stability as the load in the tub is increased.

Top Bottom