Flooded Refuges

Whoadog

Reaction score
   A few years back I was at Sacramento Refuge when some of the refuges were flooded and guys were coming over and bumping the guys who had drove up the night before to get in the lottery and stayed all night.  Let me tell you it was almost a riot.  I didn't feel it was right and decided right there if I was ever flooded out of a refuge that I had a reservation to I would consider it bad luck and live with it and not bump anyone.  How does everyone else feel on this?

Brian

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Are the flooded refuges still accessible by foot or are they completly closed? Would it make sense even to try to gain access by foot or how about by boat? I am not at all familiar with the northern refuges so its a question out of curiosity.

MQ

Reaction score
When those refuges are closed - that's it, they are closed. No admittance. Some of the access roads are flooded over.
As far as bumping someone from the lotto line with a res to a closed refuge - thats part of the game, I guess. Its happened to me and I have the chance to do it this weekend. My son drew a Sutter, only our second draw this season, and we're gonna use it. Its lousy luck for those with out a res, but if you dont have a res, you can at least realize what is going to happen and go to a less utilized refuge instead.

hntndux

Reaction score
I may have to do it since my buddy and I have 4 Sutter draws for the next 6 shoot days...just my luck.

MQ

Reaction score
Now how did you guys get so lucky with all those Sutter draws? Good to meet you the other day at LDC. Saw that nice stringer of birds your buddy brought back to the car. Also saw a guy and his kid with a Eurasian Widgeon......

Jay

Reaction score
My son & I got flooded out of the Delevan Jr. hunt. He was holding reservation #7. They honored his reservation at Sac after the Sac reservations and before the lottery.

I felt no pangs of guilt in bumping some guy from the lottery, just gratitude that the DFG has a back up policy for when areas are closed. I doubt there was more than 10 reservations taken at Sac from the flooded areas. Not a big deal.

If the lottery guys want to fork in a $1.05 for every time they pull a lottery number I might feel differently. Hey! I actually like that idea. That way the lottery players can pay for the cost of manning the check station the evening before the hunt. And how about dinging the sweatliners for $1.05 too? That way they can shoulder the cost of having some guy watch TV at the checkstation all night long.

hntndux

Reaction score
I couldn't get a Sutter all year, but now that it's probably closed I get one every week.

We ended up with 12 birds Sunday.  Ran out of shells before we could limit out and didn't feel it was worth the walk for  2 more birds.  I had my worst shooting day of the season last Sunday.  We had about 15 widgeon about 20yds away at most and only managed to get 2 birds out of them.  I had to shoot the one I got twice!  How did you and your boys do?  Did you take a blind?

I'll be at Sutter Saturday if it's open and Joice on Sunday.  If Sutter is closed I think I'll just hunt the delta or go catch some stripers Saturday.  What's your plan for the weekend?

MQ

Reaction score
Hntndux - ain't that all the luck??? I'll probably head down south cause I know there will be lots of people north trying to squeeze into Sac, Col and GL. I was just down by the bay where I used to hunt (that is now Redwood Shores) It is all built up now but the island we shot is still there and loaded with cans, widgeon, mallards, etc. It set my heart racing thinking of what I had when I was a kid. It used to be easy...We chalked up the trip as a learning experience the other day at LDC. Its one of those places where you better know where the holes are, or else you are doomed to scratch shooting. We shoulda been either 100 yards one way or 200 yards the other. Location, location, location...Not much shooting after 10 either day....
Best of luck this weekend, wherever you end up.

Greenhead

Reaction score
I think it's a safe bet that nearly every guy in the sweat/lotto line at any of the refuges on any given day is there because they were unsuccessful in getting a ressie. So, they paid way more than $1.05 for their "chance" at getting in via the sweat or lotto.

Jay

Reaction score
Ah..... but to get another chance maybe they should pay again.

Just pulling some chains Greenhead. Nothing too serious.

Greenhead

Reaction score
I hear ya, Jay. Just couldn't let it go without taking a swipe.

Top Bottom