Flooding Closes LDC and Yolo Bypass WAs

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Flooding Closes LDC and Yolo Bypass WAs  

The Little Dry Creek Unit of the Upper Butte Basin Wildlife Area and Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area are closed to all public access as of December 31, 2001, including hunting, due to localized flooding.
Both areas are normally open to public access every day with hunting access on Wednesday, Saturday, and Sundays. All public access will be restricted through Wednesday, January 2, and will be re-evaluated on Thursday to decide whether to extend the restrictions through the weekend.

Little Dry Creek Unit closure resulted primarily from flooding of the access roads to the area. The Yolo Bypass itself, which floods when the Sacramento River overtops the Femont Weir, has not flooded. Closure of the area has resulted from localized flooding primarily from several small creeks.

Waterfowl hunters who have reservations to hunt either Little Dry Creek or Yolo Bypass for Wednesday will be allowed to use their reservation at any other state-operated wildlife area. The Yolo Bypass Hunter Check Station will be staffed to advise of the emergency closure.

Baldplate

Reaction score
I contacted the Sacramento Refuge Complex and they said both Sutter and Delevan refuges were closed today(wed)due to flooding. If anyone has more up to date information on current flooding conditions in the north Sacramento valley that may affect this weekends hunting please post up and let us know. Good luck to everyone and be safe!!!

Jay

Reaction score
Yea, Delevan got shut down last night. The Jr. waterfowl hunt was canceled. Denise Dachner from the USF&WS was giving out the bad news at 4:30 AM at the road closed sign.

With no rain it will probably be open by Saturday. I'd suggest you call the refuge headquarters.

We used our Jr. hunt ressie to get in at Sac. We were able to get a blind and bring home 4 birds.

Very, very few birds in the air. You thought rot water was bad.... every rice check in the valley is filled with rain runoff, the creeks are running over their banks and every single field now has a pond in its low corner.

The ducks have a million places to choose from. We need 4 or 5 days of no rain to drain off the valley or it's going to be real tough hunting at the refuges for the rest of the season.      

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
4-5 days would be wonderful since it seems we can't get 4-5 hours this last month.

huntducks

Reaction score
That figures I was heading up there friday for LDC & Grey Lodge.

Jay do know the status of GL?

MQ

Reaction score
Gray Lodge typically doesnt flood out. Looks like I may have to head that way myself, on my son's Sutter card.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
LDC should have been open.  Talked to a check station worker at another refuge and he drove right to the front gate no problem.  Access was fine from the East only the creek to the west had overflowed and caused problems coming in from Colusa.  Word is somebody cut the lock later Tuesday evening and the parking lot was full when the DFG came to send them out, because there was no access to that very parking lot.  GO FIGURE!!!

(Edited by Mike Riley at 7:48 am on Jan. 3, 2002)

MQ

Reaction score
The road between lots 2 & 3 was flooded over, but passable, Sat and Sunday. It may have been impassable yesterday though.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom