Florida hunting information

bigolbuck

Hello Florida! I may be moving back to Florida. I say back Because I was born there and lived there for bout a year or two. If I do move there we will be living in Orlando. I am spoiled with fantastic waterfowl hunting here in California, and I was wondering how does the duck hunting fair in Florida? I looked at the regulations... Fairly liberal limits!!!! Tree ducks!!!! Blue winged teal... Nice. I also think that the licence fees are really cheap!!! Seems like a sportsmans dream! I am also am a fairly avid big game hunter as well. So If someone can throw me a bone about Florida hunting, waterfowl and big game specifically, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for any information!

Arrowhead

Sorry I cannot help. I live North of Orlando. Duck hunting down that way should be good. A lot of lakes. Hunt leases are exspensive in Central Florida. Hogs can be hunted year round though. A lot of guys get a hunt lease in Georgia where the competition is less and the deer are bigger.

bigolbuck

Thanks for the post. Anyone else out there that can let me know about Florida hunting??? going to move to Altamonte Springs Fl. this comming up spring. hope to jump into hunting out there asap!

Bullfrog 31581

Sorry I don't check this forum like I should.

I was born and raised in N. Central Florida, in fact I'm not too terribly far from Arrowhead. My family has a hunting club in NE Florida where I do most of my deer hunting. Previously I spent 5 years hunting mostly public land. Deer hunting in Florida is very frustrating for people not used to it because the deer are small, very shy, and the land itself is hard to hunt. You definitely have to learn how to be a good woodsman to be a consistent hunter unless you pay big money for unpressured deer on private land.

I personally think the hard work is worth it. I strongly believe a person who learns to be a good hunter in Florida can be a good hunter anywhere. If you're still around here's some info that can help:

If you aren't in a position to get a lease, the best thing you can do to start off is find the closest wildlife management areas and start researching the regulations. Some of them will let you walk in and hunt at will during the season, others require special permits, and others still require permits for some seasons and walk-ins for other seasons. If you decided to try to hunt a WMA that requires a special permit (most limited-entry permits are called "quota" permits and a few particular ones are called "special use") then you need to be prepared to apply in the summer time through the FWC's website. If you pick a WMA you can walk in and hunt, you would do well to start exploring it as soon as possible and learning it from now until the end of summer. Many WMAs have extended small game seasons that run from now until the beginning of spring turkey season. Its a good way to get out in the woods and scout.

The best thing you can look for now is lots of deer tracks and well-worn trails they are actively using. Over time you will need to learn about their food sources they rely on in Florida woods, but for now the place to start is simply learning the specific land you are going to hunt and general areas of travel the deer are using. As you learn the land and analyze WHY deer are using that particular area, you can take the next step and start predicting where deer might be when the season starts based on food sources that may not be in existence now but will be in the fall.

Top Bottom