Florida Man Accused Of Attacking Bear That Was Eating a Fawn

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Florida Man Accused Of Attacking Bear

mycfnow.com

July 11, 2002

Florida Man Accused Of Attacking Bear - Man Charged With Disturbing Wildlife, Disorderly Conduct

TOWNSEND, Tenn -- The National Park Service said a Florida man probably thought he was saving Bambi when he joined other people in attacking a bear that was mauling a baby deer in Tennessee. Michael Shaw of Grand Ridge, Fla., has been charged with disturbing wildlife and disorderly conduct.

Witnesses told rangers in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park that they saw the attack on the bear two weeks ago. The bear was mortally wounded and had to be destroyed.

The offenses could result in six months in jail and a $500 fine.

The park straddles the Tennessee-North Carolina border. It is home to an estimated 1,800 black bears, a breed that does not get very large and usually weighs only a couple of hundred pounds.

Grand Ridge is 47 miles northwest of Tallahassee.

End article

=============================================================

I'm guessing this was in Cades Cove TN? Anyone know for sure?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Friday, July 12, 2002

Bear attacks fawn; Florida visitor attacks bear; feds file charges

Daytona Beach News Journal

TOWNSEND, Tenn. -- Bears sometimes attack deer -- it's what bears do.

But a Florida tourist apparently couldn't accept that, rangers say, and he took nature into his own hands by kicking and slamming a young black bear that had pounced on a fawn in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

"He probably thought he was saving Bambi," park spokeswoman Nancy Gray said Thursday.

Michael Shaw, 38, of Grand Ridge, Fla., was charged wth disturbing wildlife and disorderly conduct -- federal offenses carrying up to $5,000 in fines and six months in jail.

"He seemed to be quite put out that we were charging him," ranger Kent Looney said. "He thought he was doing the right thing."

According to a ranger's report, Shaw and other visitors became distraught when they saw a 45-pound yearling bear jump on the young deer in Cades Cove on June 28.

Shaw ran toward the animals and began kicking the bear. When it refused to let go of the deer, Shaw picked up the bear and threw it down, the report said.

The bear released its grip and ran back into the woods, "probably pretty confused," Gray said. The deer was mortally wounded and had to be euthanized.

But park officials said Shaw interrupted nature.

"The bear was doing what it was supposed to be doing," Looney said.

"Many of the people who gave me statements about the incident were incensed about what he had done. If they had gotten hold of him, we might have had to save him."

The park, straddling the Tennessee-North Carolina border, is home to an estimated 1,800 black bears and is the destination for about 10 million visitors annually.

Though bear attacks in the Smokies are rare and often minor -- averaging about two a year -- a hiker was killed by a bear in 2000.

But Gray said this was the first time someone other than a poacher has attacked a bear in the national park.

-- -- --

On the Net:

Great Smoky Mountains: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/home/

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a clarification.  The first article Jesse posted includes a misprint, saying the bear was mortally wounded.  In fact, the bear was not injured.  The fawn, on the other hand, was a goner.  The Parks guys euthanized it, then took it back in hopes that the bear would come back and eat it.

As far as the moron trying to save the fawn...  words escape me.

Drayton

Reaction score
Now "can't we just get along?"

I'm sure this man needs counseling for the trauma he has suffered from having to face the cold reality of nature. He probably thought bears eat picnic baskets like Yogi Bear.  

AR Hunter

Reaction score
i agree the guy is an idiot, but $5000 and 6 months in jail.  come on...

Speckmisser

Reaction score
AR,

Odds are slim that this moron will see either the $5K fine OR the jail time.  I sort of agree that such penalties aren't appropriate in this case, but other wildlife harrassment cases certainly warrant at least that much.  

More appropriate might be forcing him to serve time working at a nature "interpretation" center, where he might actually learn that nature is not quite the Animal Planet commercial so many of these yahoos seem to think it is.

Of course, there's the draconian side of me that says the judge should burn him a new butthole... chemical castration, in order to keep it out of the gene pool.

Top Bottom