Flux

troll

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I only have experience soldering my ms20 board.  Basically, I'm as green as it comes.  I asked a friend about how I should approach the delicate task of soldering the Owl PF board.  He suggested using some type of flux.  I was just curious if anyone has used this and if this sounds right.  Any suggestions as to what type or brand?

(Edited by troll at 10:57 pm on Sep. 15, 2001)

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
I highly recommend using flux when soldering, especially around surface mount chips and small flex curcuits.  Flux will let the solder flow at a much better rate.  This means that the soldering gun will heat up the solder much faster and evenly, thereby allowing you to use less heat on the circuit board.   Without it, you risk overheating the board and burning through the traces.  I use the liquid flux and simply squirt some on the area I am soldering.  Works like a charm.  I use a generous amount on the area I am working on and then clean the left over flux after I am done soldering.  

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Most solder already has a flux "Core" but be sure it's ROSIN Flux and not Acid (those for electronics, including Radio Shacks', are Rosin core)

Adding flux as Jaggermax suggests probably helps but I've never had to do that.  (I owned a TV repair shop for 10 yrs and done a LOT of soldering)Beginners usually do a better job with THIN wire solder, BTW

The main thing is to keep your soldering iron tip clean by wiping it on a wet (damp) sponge or wash cloth.  The iron should be "HOT", the steam does a lot of the work.  Wipe it just before soldering the joint.....

Tinhorn

Top Bottom