Fly fishing beginner

yotegetter

Reaction score
Well, I've read more and more about fly fishing. It interests me more every time I read about it. I do deep sea fishing and freshwater fishing now (except fly fishing). Does anyone have any tips for a beginner? Equipment for beginners? Shops in SoCal, around Long Beach specifically? Spots to go? I'm going to the ISE show and hope to see some stuff there. All advice will be appreciated.

Sky Buster

Reaction score
i dont know of any shops in long beach, but i know there is a few in newport.  look up bob marriots, i think thats in newport.  but as for equipment...it just depends on how much you want to spend,and what kind of fish your after.  i think a good all around rod would be a 6 weight, because you can use it with small streams, all the way to lakes, and even the ocean(depending on what your fishing for).  but there are many fly rod companies that offer a starter kit.  its usually a cheaper rod that comes with a reel, line, pretty much everything you need. i would recommend one of those if you've never flyfished, because if you break it, or dont like flyfishing, or anything like that...it wont put a dent in your wallet.  but one of my favorite places to go in summer is redondo harbor for bonita.  its alot of fun with a 6 weight rod.  and theyre not too hard to catch.  well, i hope this info helps a little bit..  

Brown Trout

Reaction score
yotegetter

Check out the thread on page two (flyrod and reel info) started buy Foulshot, that way songdog and I wont have to retype everything ;^)  Bob Marriots is located in Fullerton off the 91 frwy at magnola sp? ( go north to the first street, Orangethorpe, turn right the shop is on the right)  The Long beach flyfishing club is one of the best around and sounds to be in your back yard. You'll get more than enought help and info. from them. If all else fails come late spring/ early summer(after softball season) give a shout and I'll show you the ropes

(Edited by Brown Trout at 3:23 pm on Jan. 9, 2002)

(Edited by Brown Trout at 3:24 pm on Jan. 9, 2002)

yotegetter

Reaction score
Brown Trout - Thanks for that info. I'll look into them. Do they have a website by any chance? Maybe I will take you up on some lessons!

Thanks Sky Buster

When's a good time to go out for trout and fishing streams?

Sky Buster

Reaction score
actually the best time to fish some streams would be right now.  the water is getting back up to normal flow, and colder...  i read your post about coyote hunting in azusa canyon, and theres a stream up there that is excellent for flyfishing.  the fish are nothing to brag about, but its still a blast.  its called the san gabriel river, i recommend taking the east fork road till it ends, then go upstream from there.  if you want more detailed directions, just let me know, and if you want someone to shoot the breeze with, just let me know... good luck.

yotegetter

Reaction score
Actually I had that place in mind. As soon as I find some equipment and see if I can afford it I'll take you up on a trip up there.

Brown Trout

Reaction score
Here is Marriott's web site
http://www.bobmarriotts.com/
I don't have one for the long beach club sorry. I've also fish the west fork and the key is the hike, the more distance you put between you and roads end the better. You'll want to use a two or three wt. rod anything more than a four wt. and you'll be over gunned. Now is the best time because there is less rift raft that you will have to deal with, it's a little cold to go swimming now for most of them. How much do you have in your budget for equipment?

songdog

Reaction score
Brown Trout is right on.  Get away from the parking lot and you'll have a much better time.  Just like hunting.

I was up at Piru Creek a couple of days ago.  The flow is pretty low but there aren't any weeds and the brush along the shoreline is much thinner than in the summer.  Only saw one other person fly fishing out there.

Check out that other thread that Brown Trout mentions and in summary of that - spend a little more on a decent outfit to start and it will make your learning experience much better and easier.  

Have fun!

(Edited by songdog at 7:03 pm on Jan. 12, 2002)

Top Bottom