Fly fishing trip to the sierras

solus

Reaction score
Im headed to the sierras to do some fly fishing june 11-14. Im trying to get advice on where to go. Ive never been and think it would be fun to go and spend some time up there camping and fishing. What should i take? Size pole, line wt, gear etc. If someone is interested in going let me know. So we can plan.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Yeh i took a break from fly fishing but since I have been knocking them out with a reel and rod I need to break out my fly rod agian it is so much fun and not hard to get the hang of it at all. And i have caught quit a few fish with it and I just started flying a few months ago.
I can't help u with where to go but as far as a fly rod set up I bought a Martin fly for and reel combo that comes with some flys too at Sportsmans Warehouse for under $40. 3 piece around 8 or 9 feet long with line and lead. It does the job fine I am happy with it got the money everything you need to get started. Hope this helps....tra

solus

Reaction score
Yea i already have a 5w rod and real set up for fly fishing; i just wasnt sure if it was good for the area. Im farelly new to the sport. I only fished last year but im getting better. I have a ton of flies i have crafted so far. Im about to pull out my book and youtube.com to start making more because im a little rusty. Im starting to get a game plan going.

quaildeath

Reaction score
What do you like to fish, streams, rivers, lakes, etc....? I know the E. Sierras very very well.
You'll want terrestrials in June along with some others. Hoppers and ants.
Also some steamers....wooly bugggers and muddler minnows. You can dead stick buggers and get bit too.

I don't like nymphing, it is too tech and not fun for me. But note you can fish bead headed prince nymphs and hares ears like streamers.

I power fish with streamers mostly or fish dry flies. Standard drys are Parachute Adams and Mosquitos. Also had great days fishing Royal Coachmans when lady bugs are being eaten when it's windy....RED!

Strait 2-4 lb fluoro for streamers. 6-7x in 9 foot or longer for dries.

Plain ol' Steve

Reaction score
Hey Solus.. Your gonna love it. Any idea where you are going yet? Sierras is a big place. Like many others on here I have fished a lot of it but more commonly the the less traveled to locations. I might suggest that you fish near an area where you might plan to hunt so that you can get a lay of the land at the same time. The other suggestion I have ist to fish the most difficult places to get to.

quaildeath

Reaction score
I agree with Steve. Get away from the roadside areas. The are a lot of off the beaten path areas.

Bossbrott

Reaction score
The area around Caples Lake holds lots of potential. Local lakes such as Red, Caples, Upper Blue, Lower Blue, not to mention the Carson River thru Hope Valley. Lots of choices in that particular area that time of year. Unfortunately it's not really a secret anymore, but a guy can still find some elbow room. Fourth of July lake is a small hike as well as a couple others.
Good luck

solus

Reaction score
I was thinking fishing the rock creek area and below the pvr. There is another spot i was thinking of fishing. Thanks for the info quaildeath. Ill have to make some adams and more ants. I Lost my last few on the santa ana last year tryinv to catch some of the local trout.

Fishgunner

Reaction score
I have that same Martin and took it to the Big Pine loop glacier lakes March of 2013. There's trout all over the Bishop area off the 395. We tried for golden trout in the John Muir at about 10,000 feet. Those lakes are holden goldens (the lakes are so remote that they don't have names, they are only numbered). We caught browns and steels in just about every pond and stream on our way up the mountain and around the camp sights and nailed some cutthroat right off the banks of the 1st and 2nd lakes. I highly recommend the big pine loop if you can handle a steep hike and some mild altitude sickness. It has 5 glacier lakes that hold the full spectrum of sierra-nevada species. It was early spring so we were using nymph flies, little black wet caddis flys, wooly buggers... they worked, but what REALLY worked was when I tied a micro-inline foxtail spinner to the end of my line and flied that. A little unorthodox for fly fishing but it was very effective. Just don't get that trebble hook stuck in your ear when you're casting (LOL). Inline spinners have always been my old stand-by for trout in just about any given situation, and yes.. you can fly them... just make sure they are very light so they don't snap off in your back cast.

Good luck Solus... You're on the right track the Eastern Sierras are arguably the best trout country in the Western United State IMHO. Roman Archer and Quaildeath both offered good advice... The Inyo/ Bishop area is a Mecca for any serious California trout-angler.

http://1source.basspro.com/index.php/component/k2/77-trout-fishing/696-inline-spinner-trout-tactics

Last edited:

quaildeath

Reaction score
I was thinking fishing the rock creek area and below the pvr. There is another spot i was thinking of fishing. Thanks for the info quaildeath. Ill have to make some adams and more ants. I Lost my last few on the santa ana last year tryinv to catch some of the local trout.
Here is what I would do holms. I would camp at Convict. You will be in the middle grounds between Rock Creek Lake and Mammoth, right across the road from the Owens. Rock Creek Lake is the highest lake you can drive to up there. It's 10000 plus in elev. If you had a lot of adult pops the night before, don't go up, it hurts.

Convict is the ugly step child of the area, so it does not get extremely crowded like the Loop and mammoth lakes. Epic fishing in out of the way locals. Also some sneaky lil hot springs too for a night soak.

Fishgunner

Reaction score
Here is what I would do holms. I would camp at Convict. You will be in the middle grounds between Rock Creek Lake and Mammoth, right across the road from the Owens. Rock Creek Lake is the highest lake you can drive to up there. It's 10000 plus in elev. If you had a lot of adult pops the night before, don't go up, it hurts.

Convict is the ugly step child of the area, so it does not get extremely crowded like the Loop and mammoth lakes. Epic fishing in out of the way locals. Also some sneaky lil hot springs too for a night soak.
Not a bad plan at all. I pulled my biggest brown yet out of Convict. Loved that trip. That part of the Owens has special regulations about barbed hooks, bait etc. check the regs and know which part of the Owens you're on. I can't remember the regs off hand for the Northern Owens area.

Last edited:

FoCoHugh

JHO Team Member
Reaction score
June Lake Loop is great. Golden Trout Wilderness is a hoot. Any day or overnight hike out of Lake Isabella is great. You really can't go wrong.

solus

Reaction score
From what i was reading the golden trout season is not open in june. I might have miss read it in the magazine. can someone clear this up for me?

Top Bottom