Fog and rangefinders

forkehornreggie

Reaction score
I was into the hogs a couple of weeks ago and for some reason this year was harder than last for me to get close. Anyhow, I was approx 30 yards but maybe longer. I went to range the pigs and I was getting funny readings. It would say "13" and then "23". I had the Leica bino/rangefinder as my main optic and I thought the battery was low so I pulled out my new Leopuld ( you know, the angled reading one) and it was the same---funny readings or no reading at all. My hunting partner had a Bushnell rangefinder---same thing.
The reason I was so adament about ranging was the weekend before I decided to shoot a pig and held 30 and it flew over his head-----what a dumb-ass
I was. I have all these high dollar rangefinders on me and I guess and blew it.
Back to the subject---does anyone have any ideas on ranging in the fog?

PS - It was moderately foggy.

hntnnut

Reaction score
not sure but mine has a setting for "RAIN". If yours has that type of setting you might want to try that, but im not sure if it would work.

Richard

forkehornreggie

Reaction score
Yeah, even on the rain setting it was lousy. Once the fog lifted a bit it started obtaining reading. I might add that the Leica obtained reading way before the others did.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Fog's a killer, hurts me everytime in Oregon.....Tried the 'rain' mode and all! Nothing!

ELKBUSTER

Reaction score
Hey forky,

Maybe you were standing in the pigmuda triangle.
Your lucky you are still around to talk about it !!!!

EB

Top Bottom