I didn't know where else to put this.
What are you using in your plots?
How is it looking right now?
Are the animals using it?
Is your little cam "supervising" it?

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
quackmaster
i do not have a food plot going but i do have a mineral magic lick going and you can bet there is a cam on it. its relatively new and have already got one buck w/little new antler growth on him cant wait to see how this lick will do throughout the yea.r

undcoverbob

Reaction score
I am with SWAMPFOOT with the mineral supplement licks. I got some great recipies off http://www.bowsite.org to mix my own, and the deer are starting to really lick'em up!  I'll be posting PICS early next week.

wfontjr

Reaction score
we planted about 50 lbs soybeans, 100 lbs milo and another 50 lbs of peas my brother picked up at the rice mill he works at, now if it will rain so things will sprout

kuff

Reaction score
I have a new area to hunt deer and turkey in Fulton County Illinois. This is 100 acres strip mine ground with the adjoining 500 acres owned by the same family. Timber, lakes and sone tillable ground. Excellant the way it is but we were tossing around the idea of adding some food plots to enhance it a bit. I'm hoping to get some feedback about any products you guys have tried and your experience with them. We have access to farming equipment to make the job real easy. They did have some wheat and sunflowers for the doves but our focus is more for the deer and turkey. DNR says their survey indicates this ground has the largest population of turkey in the county. Sure would like to get one. Thanks for the help!

Possum

Reaction score
Turkeys love CHUFA.  It ought to do well up there. If there is already a lot of natural nutgrass in the area, you don't have to plant the chufa.  I had a place where they would eat the nutgrass quicker than the chufa.  Clovers are great too for turkeys.  I hear they are harder to grow because of the Ph needs of the soil.

Chufa is probably the best for a 100 acre parcel of land.  With 500-600 acres 1 really good chufa patch will attract every bird around and bring the gobblers in tow.

(Edited by Possum at 6:50 pm on Oct. 17, 2001)

kuff

Reaction score
Thanks Possum! We're going to give it a try.

knothead

Reaction score
i am  buying some land to hunt on(thanks to 17 year old that cant drive and good insurance co.)and i want to plant some food plots.i never planted any before and wandered what those of you that have, had the best luck with. plots will probably be 5-10 acres and plan on 2 or 3 different areas on farm.any help would be great. thanks.

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
Where I hunt in Tennessee winter wheat seems to do best. We have tried just about everything too.
Winter peas are usually good to, but this year they went untouched probably because of all they acorns.
The best advice is to let the deer tell you what they want. Plant test strips of different stuff and see what the preferance is.

knothead

Reaction score
thanks eagle eye for the info.test strips sound like the ticket.

russ

Reaction score
 Hey Knothead,
A little advice I had a 100 acre farm I had permissoin to hunt.We planted 4 plots with clover really brought in some good dear.The following year the owner leased out the property to someone else!Make sure you be able to hunt this place  for a few years so it will justfies your effort.

bmulley

Reaction score
knothead, have you checked out the buck in  Game Trail Cameras and Camcorders - Middle Ga. Deer Picture?  Curtiss says he plants JAB JAB and explains what it is...He's in Middle Georgia area and it may also work for TN area.

russ

Reaction score
  Ya you all  should take a look at that post great buck. Its Lab LAb I think and does anyone know who cares the seed.If thats what kind of dear it helps produce I'd give it a try on your new place Knothead!

gizz

Reaction score
This place sells it although I can't tell you if the price is high or low. They have some good info and pics about the LABLAB and other wildlife plots.

http://www.tecomate.com/index.html

(Edited by gizz at 4:51 pm on Jan. 1, 2002)

knothead

Reaction score
thanks you guy thats why i love this place....just ask and ye do receive.the Lablab would sure be one to have a few plots of.thanks again.

knothead

Reaction score
thanks knobby, i was wondering if the co-op could coustom mix the plot seed.the Lablab perinieal seems to be good choice for QDM,s in this area. i spent latter part of morning talking to different clubs this morning.they did say the co-op could supply most seed cheaper. thanks for your help.

smendy

Reaction score
Just started hunting the bird this year and was lucking enough to bag a 23# tom with a 10" beard.  The bad thing is there are not any birds on my land in spring.  I had to hunt on some adjoining property just to hear a turkey.  

Would planting a food plot help keep birds on my land, I see them in fall but not a sign of them in spring.  I am planning to set aside a few acres in various areas to plant this fall and am wondering what is effective, both food wise and price.

I am now addicted and will soon need some help!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Smendy,

How much ground you got and what state is it in, just curious?  I don't care for spring food plots, the're ate up before huntin' season and animals got plenty to eat that time of year besides.  

But I really like Fall Food Plots planted with Winter Wheat......You don't need certified wheat seed, "Field Wheat Seed" is fine and only $5 a bushel from local farmers.  I use about 300 lbs of 12/12/12 fertilizer per acre and sew the wheat pretty heavy (the recommended seed rate with a drill is about 2 bushel per acre).  I just disk up the ground, cast about 3 to 5 bushels per acre and drag a cedar tree over it to cover the seed a little (plant between 9/15 and 10/1).  A lot of seed will be buried too deep and won't come up with this method.  Plant 1 acre plots if possible and I like one acre for every 40 acres of ground.  In Feb, throw some Clover seed in the food plot, best on top of snow.

Deer really love these green food plots and turkeys love to strut in little green fields in the spring.

Tinhorn

Top Bottom