Footprints in the snow...

MBullism

Reaction score
Anyone out there have a crafty way of checking your cams with snow on the ground?  I put mine out on public land, now it's snowed and I dare not walk up to it to checkfor fear of leaving an obvious trail to it.  I'm thinking an external counter that I can check with binoculars...  For now I'm staying away and will probably end up pulling it when I check it.  But that leads to the next problem.  How to put it back out without leaving tracks?

TmKarren

Reaction score
I've the same problem.  I try to step where there is some patches of dead grass above the snow.  If the snow isn't to deep.  That way it's not to noticable.  Try it you can hardly see where you walked.  Then when I have got off the path aways I take the long way there.  walk up behind it.  I then walk back in the same tracks.  I don't know if there is a good answer.  Hope someone has a better one.  Good post!!!!

(Edited by TmKarren at 10:53 am on Jan. 16, 2002)

(Edited by TmKarren at 12:12 pm on Jan. 16, 2002)

(Edited by TmKarren at 5:28 am on Jan. 21, 2002)

markr

Reaction score
I also have this problem. Last saturday i left my cam clearly out in the open because i did'nt think anyone would be hunting Sunday. Sunday night we were pounded with a snow storm and not having 4 wheel drive i could'nt get to my cam for a week! When i returned i saw footprints leading torwards my cam. However when i reached it it had been left alone and the footprints came right in front of it at 10 yards. Needless to say i got 3 pics of some honest coyotee hunters that were shocked but also courtious enough to leave it alone. This time i moved it back in the woods and tried the back track method. I'll let you know how i made out.

woodseye

Reaction score
Great topic......my cam partner makes 3-4 big overlapping circles before he goes to his cam. Figures any one following will get tired and quit when his tracks don't make any sense. My way is to put my camera out the nite before a snow. The animals move on a new storm and i don't go to get until I'm ready to bring in. I like to leave mine out at least a week to descent and get more than 1-2 pics. I build a canopy of cedar limbs to help keep snow off cam.

woodseye

MBullism

Reaction score
The overlapping / meandering circles sounds like it could be effective except it means alot of extra walking and doesn't guard against someone that just cuts your track.  I like the idea of putting it out immediately before a snow, thanks.  I figure even if someone finds my snow covered tracks they'll look "old" and less interesting to the curious. (there's nothing like cutting a fresh track, don'tcha know)

MBullism

Reaction score
I don't know if this is gonna work out or not, but here goes...

I pulled my cam from it's previous spot.  Took it to another place where i've had good success and did the following:  I knew of a good trail where the deer happen to cross a stream (shallow, but fairly wide).  I planned my approach to hit perpendicular to the stream about 100 yards upstream of where they cross.  Then I played "cool hand luke" in hip boots...  made my way downstream to the crossing, hung the cam on a streamside tree back off the trail, then made my way back up to my original footy prints.  I then continued on my original path, as if I had jumped the stream and made a large loop the other way.

I'll let you know if it worked or if i'm posting another "stolen cam alert"!

M

dbassman53

Reaction score
Snow????
Whats that? is that the cold white stuff ?? don't see much of that in SW MISS.

MBullism

Reaction score
Oh, the things you southeren folks have to put up with...:wink-yellow:

Top Bottom