Fort hunter liggett. New registration, i used to hunt fhl 5 years ago

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I went online and created a new account with isportsman.net. and watched the 2 safety briefings.

When I look at available permits its grayed out? Are there more steps?

The permit process page is also broken.

What about gun registration? Last I heard you had to register guns with cops on the fort before you could bring the guns on the fort.

Thx

Screenshot_20191223-130928_Chrome.jpg

ltdann

Reaction score
I gave up on that place. Once MWR took over, it became all about the money and turned to crap. I understand MWR is out of the picture again so all my paid for "points" (some $500 worth) disappeared and now they've banned retirees from applying for the elk hunts.

They'll not get any of my business ever again.

CalPoly2015

Reaction score
I went online and created a new account with isportsman.net. and watched the 2 safety briefings.

When I look at available permits its grayed out? Are there more steps?

The permit process page is also broken.

What about gun registration? Last I heard you had to register guns with cops on the fort before you could bring the guns on the fort.

Thx

View attachment 76678
Here is the process that I went through (it won't let you purchase a hunting/fishing license until after you've submitted and had approved the Access Request Form, followed by a copy of your current hunting license)

Step 1: Log in and clear any holds/safety briefings (https://fthunter.isportsman.net/PermitProcess.aspx)

Step 2 (Completed annually): 2019-20 Hunting Request Form

https://fthunter.isportsman.net/files/Vetting/Vetting Form H&F 2019-20.pdf

Email completed form with a copy of your Passport or Real ID to: usarmy.hunterliggett.id-pacific.mbx.des-sec-and-acc-req@mail.mil

Step 3 (Completed annually): Email copy of current hunting license to: usarmy.hunterliggett.id-readiness.mbx.hunt-and-fish-program@mail.mil

Step 4 (No expiration as long as all guns used are registered & permitted): Complete Firearms registration form (https://fthunter.isportsman.net/files/Form 8-1 2018.pdf ) and email to usarmy.hunterliggett.id-pacific.mbx.des-sec-and-acc-req@mail.mil

Step 5: Purchase hunting/fishing permits

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I gave up on that place. Once MWR took over, it became all about the money and turned to crap. I understand MWR is out of the picture again so all my paid for "points" (some $500 worth) disappeared and now they've banned retirees from applying for the elk hunts.

They'll not get any of my business ever again.

you cant apply at all? I was able to apply last year but im not retired military. That doesnt seem fair.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
whats a yearly permit cost now for general public? Whats a room now at lodging? Hacienda still renting out rooms?

ltdann

Reaction score
You can still apply thru the state, average wait about 11 years. The military hunts were 3-5 years, for retirees. Retirees that are not diasabled pay $120, just like the general public.

Retirees had to buy the access permit, before you could apply for the elk draw, so you were out $120 whether you drew or not. Now if you were a straight civilian and drew on the state hunt, you paid the $8 processing fee to the state and only paid the access permit fee if you drew. The gave you perference points if you were unsuccessful on the draw. It was robbery against retired military.

I and others filed complaints with the IG and the MWR manager called and said basically "We can do that and get away with it because the base CO said we could. Suck it up"

FHL is the most expensive access fee in DOD, worldwide. The facilities are basically crap. Last time I was there the game shack had collapsed in on itself. The campground was in shambles, with one toilet that you had to wrestle a racoon for since it was living inside it. The transient lodge was $135 a night and looked like a half way house for crack addicts. I wouldn't have given it a second glance out in town.

The whole place is incestous, and hostile to people not working on the base. The hunting there is not THAT great.

CalPoly2015

Reaction score
whats a yearly permit cost now for general public? Whats a room now at lodging? Hacienda still renting out rooms?
It's $120/year for general hunting & fishing for non-military.

On a positive note, I have found it very convenient now that FHL uses the iSportsman website for checking in/out of areas. The mobile friendly website now allows me to check-in to the zone I'm interested in the day before, and shows how many other hunters are currently checked in to the various zones. It also allows you to change which zone you're checked into on the fly (assuming you have cell service). I'm lucky enough to live somewhat close to FHL, so I'm now able to drive straight to the zone I pre-checked into first thing in the morning without waiting in any lines/etc. at the base or dealing with an unfriendly personnel.

Advertisement

Top Bottom