Fort Hunter Liggett Pig Hunters, Seen Elk?

Bill in SD

Reaction score
I'm super lucky to have drawn a muzzy bull elk tag, opening day is Saturday. Have you pig hunters seen elk recently at FHL? Thanks Bill

CalPoly2015

Reaction score
I'm new to hunting FHL so I'm not too familiar with the zones yet, but last time I was out there (Saturday, Dec 7) I saw elk nearby. There were about 7 elk cows with 1 larger bull on the north side of Jolon road about 1 mile from the Interlake road intersection. I also saw about 15 cows and 1 bull on the private property just to the East of HA 10 within sight of the road. Hope this helps.

hntboar

Reaction score
Know it well. I would get into area 9 next to 12b? They go back in forth between the areas in the open in 12b and then go up into 9 to bed. Come in from the main road and start on the south side and take the road to the right. It is steep but if not wet you should be fine, You May be able to see them from the top. Work your way north. Good luck.

Bill in SD

Reaction score
I'm new to hunting FHL so I'm not too familiar with the zones yet, but last time I was out there (Saturday, Dec 7) I saw elk nearby. There were about 7 elk cows with 1 larger bull on the north side of Jolon road about 1 mile from the Interlake road intersection. I also saw about 15 cows and 1 bull on the private property just to the East of HA 10 within sight of the road. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I appreciate the help. Bill

Bill in SD

Reaction score
Know it well. I would get into area 9 next to 12b? They go back in forth between the areas in the open in 12b and then go up into 9 to bed. Come in from the main road and start on the south side and take the road to the right. It is steep but if not wet you should be fine, You May be able to see them from the top. Work your way north. Good luck.
It's going to be real wet. Are there other options to the road on the right? Thanks

hntboar

Reaction score
You can come in though the road that borders 8 and 12 on the other side. It will take you to 9 and then you can go right. You have a 4 wheel drive? Also fresh tracks in 13W but that will be slick too. Hard to get around when it is raining and slick.

Bill in SD

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you mean take Naciemento Road north at the southwestern boarder of 12b until I get to the border of 8 and then turn right, east and head up in the hills flanking the border of the restricted zone towards 9? Yes, I have 4 wheel drive, however I am a bit cautious and don't want to slide off into a ravine. Bill

hntboar

Reaction score
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. How did you do? DId you get your Elk?

Bill in SD

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I did get my elk and on the first day!! Great hunt, nice bull with some broken off ends. Biologist estimated age at 8 years old. I'll post up the details on the website in a day or so. Bill

Top Bottom