Fort Hunter Liggett Red Tape Decoder

Bill in SD

Reaction score
I haven't hunted FHL for several years. I recently filled out the paperwork to register my shotgun for the base and it was accepted.

There was another form to vet me, which I filled out, sent, but have not heard back on? Sounds like I need to do this once a year and have to pay for one weekend or the whole year when I send it all in?

Then there is the online and/or phone line to get on a training area, which opens at 2pm on Fridays. How is the website at 2pm, is it overloaded and how about the phone lines? The reason I am asking is I live in San Diego don't want to drive up there if I cannot get onto a decent training area.

So, what's the low down?

Thanks Bill

hntboar

Reaction score
Don't forget to get your hunting pass. Once you get your pass in the mail or email you need to go to the rec center to get your pass. Then you will get a log in to the app and phone number for Teletrac. This allows you to check on the areas that are open for that weekend. You will see the open areas posted on the web site. For you first trip your taking a chance on getting into the area you want since you cant log in till you get your pass and login.
link here http://fhlfmwr.com/outdoorweekly.html
Hope this helps?
Hntboar

Bill in SD

Reaction score
Don't forget to get your hunting pass. Once you get your pass in the mail or email you need to go to the rec center to get your pass. Then you will get a log in to the app and phone number for Teletrac. This allows you to check on the areas that are open for that weekend. You will see the open areas posted on the web site. For you first trip your taking a chance on getting into the area you want since you cant log in till you get your pass and login.
link here http://fhlfmwr.com/outdoorweekly.html
Hope this helps?
Hntboar
Thanks! So, for the second time I go, how hard is it to get through the app and Teletrac to pick areas?

Planetcat

Reaction score
The learning curve is about the first hour of arrival. Like hntboar said, once you get your pass/Id #, you are set. I've found that either the phone system is working or the app is working, but I've not been there when it's been both. I think they back each other up. The app sucks, but it works and is informative, once you figure it out. The cell reception on the base is fantastic. Also, you have to get vetted at the new "hut" they built on the main road before the entrance to the contonement area. I think it's once per pass (either season or weekend) and you get your photo card. Makes it easier to enter the contonement area and minimizes the full body cavity searches for access in. :)

Last edited:

OakStuddedAcres

Reaction score
Check the rec center hours, I suggest driving up on Friday and you could be hunting on Saturday. You can start checking in on Thursday afternoon after the update is posted. Call the guys in the rec center they are extremely helpful. I prefer huntrac vs teletrac, during deer season it is a free for all. Sometimes you can check in way early and before you check out of another area.
With all the rain be very cautious where you drive the silt out there turns to quicksand.
That is a long haul up from SD, even if you don't fill a tag the scenery is beautiful.

Schnitt

Reaction score
I have been hunting FHL for a few years, and it keeps changing a bit.
Hunting pass: send in the forms and $ to the rec center. Go in once/year to get your pic taken. Sometimes they will use the pic from the previous year. The vetting form is dumb (so says the department of emergency services).... since you need to be vetted to go into the cantonement area to get your pass from the rec center each year, but.... they still ask for it.
Weapons registration: Used to need re-registering each year, but now its permanent. Only need to send in if you want to change the guns on your list. This gets sent to the Department of Emergency Services, NOT the rec center.
Dashboard pass: Print these out from the web site. I laminated mine and use a dry erase pen. This is only really needed if you leave your vehicle on the side of the road and walk into an area. The state game warden can site you if you dont have it, but mostly, he just wants to make sure you are permitted, and not a poacher trespassing without a permit.
Logging in and out of training areas: In 2016, we used Teletrack, which you call in and follow the automated prompts. That is now permanently shut down, and instead you use a downloaded app on your phone call HuntTrac. I am told that will soon be replaced by a different smart phone app call I-hunt. I have had some issues logging into areas using HuntTrac. On my Android OS, I always need to do the "search" multiple times to show the list of open areas. On my friends I-phone, he could not log into the area because the "enter" button was off screen. So... its work in progress. I have called the rec center and they were able to log me in and out of an area as long as I was not logged into HuntTrac.
GPS: A great new thing that is now available is to install "Avenza" on your smart phone and then download the "FHL Topo map- all areas" file. This allows you to use your phone like a GPS and always see the training area you are in....which is a big deal since the signage is not great.
I found that the folks that work at the Rec center are super helpful. Not all of them are hunters, and so may not understand hunting stuff, but they are really trying to help.....

Last edited:

Advertisement

Top Bottom