• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

found M1 Carbine in an attic What's it worth?

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Mine was a blast to shoot until it broke. It seemed the materials and finish of the whole gun is really cheap. It's a nice looking little gun but the quality is just not that great. I usually shoot about 50-100 rounds every time at the range and it's a blast. I've got 1000 rounds of Tula ammo stocked for plinking with this gun. It looks nice with a mini scope. I also used it for pig hunting a few times and it put some bacon on the table. Hopefully I can get it fix.

000_6521.jpg 000_6522.jpg

Last edited:

Live2hunt

Forever Hunting
Mine was made by Iver Johnson also post war which I've done some research on and it boiled down to the same quality as one made by National Ordinance post war. The only difference is that every parts on my gun is swappable with parts from a GI version, although some parts looks different, but it has the same fitting with some needing just minor tweaking to fit. And yes mine has the GI slide with the slide lock. I might replace some parts with GI parts if I could find them in good condition for the right price.

Oh before I forget, you can adjust the elevation on the rear iron sight by sliding the little peep hole piece up and down the ramp. Slide it up the ramp (towards the rear) move elevation up. Slide it down the ramp (towards the front) move elevation down. For windage, you turn the knob on the right side of the rear sight. Turn it clockwise you will see the ramp and peephole move right, that move your aimpoint left. Turn it counter clockwise you will see the ramp and peephole move left, that move your aimpoint right.

k_rad

Oh before I forget, you can adjust the elevation on the rear iron sight by sliding the little peep hole piece up and down the ramp. Slide it up the ramp (towards the rear) move elevation up. Slide it down the ramp (towards the front) move elevation down. .
Thanks, I moved the peep hole as far forward as it would go and it still shot high. I am pretty sure it may have gotten a little bent. Unless I can find another adjustment I may have to" persuade" it a little. The biggest thing I was concerned about was the groups and how repeatable or not it would be but I was very surprised that when I moved the sights they stayed and I was getting 1 1/2" groups at 75 yds. they were all at the top of the paper...

XDHUNTER

Now that you know it's shootable, put it on the safe for your collection.study the history of the gun caz it's a nice conversation piece around the camp fire. Almost forgot the one under the bed..the one I dont want L2 to know.:mooning:

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
VER' nice, XD. From what little I can tell in your pictuers, that's a true GI model. :thumbs up:

XDHUNTER

It is belch. I grew up with this kind of military rifle and i love it. I still have one of the paratrooper version sitting in my safe back home in P.I.

k_rad

Now that you know it's shootable, put it on the safe for your collection.study the history of the gun caz it's a nice conversation piece around the camp fire. Almost forgot the one under the bed..the one I dont want L2 to know.:mooning:
I have definitely thought about it XD. Probably if it was a GI gun I would but I just kind of lucked into it and picked up with the intention of selling so that I can get a lift kit for my jeep. I promised my wife I wouldn't spend any $ on the jeep until her new house was done and that could be another year of more. She didn't say I couldn't horse trade for what I need though. So if you know anyone that has a 3"suspension lift kit from Zone Off Road for a 02 TJ let me know...
KR

hunthog

National Ordinance Carbines are not very valuable and not much of a piece of history. When Carbines were not readily available to the general public NO manufactured less than good quality cast receivers and used mixed USGI and commercial parts to piece together Carbines for commercial sale. Some have parts unique to NO Carbines and cannot be replaced if they break. They have a history of constant malfunctions due to poor castings. Value is in the $300-$400 range or less. NO also made receivers for 1903A3 rifles. They too are not very valuable and their safety for use is questionable.

The rifle isn't unsafe to shoot and, if you happen to have found a good one, may function just fine. If it's not a good one you'll have function problems. BTW - moving the peep forward raises the peep and thus it will shoot high. Sliding the peep rearward lowers it and will lower your POI.

Larry

Top Bottom