Found new cheap PIR Sensor!

hamiltoe

Reaction score
Here's a new PIR sensor I'm going to try!  It's on sale right now at Radio Shack for ony $5.99 while supplies last.  Here's the link if anyone is interested:  http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...5Fid=980%2D1303

Incase the link doesn't work, go to RadioShack.com and do a search for part number 980-1303.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the size & weight. The housing is 10.5x8x2" HUGE!  & 60 oz w/o batteries...WOW.  But hopefully, can retro fit to better enclosure.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi hamiltoe,
That thing is a beast!  60 oz! - wonder if that's a typo?? Appears to have a light built in.  If the circuit board is not too big and the power consumption is low, it could be just the thing.  I'm *guessing* that it might even have adjustable daylight disable and "on" timer - that would be nics...
Archilochus

hamiltoe

Reaction score
I ordered a couple b/c they were so cheap.....will keep you posted....

I also just finished a home brew camera using a small X-10 motion detector.  It should last for months on 2 C cell batteries.  It took quite a while to figure out.  I added a counter and adjustable delay times (30 sec to 5 minute delay).  I'm in the process of documenting/photographing the project so I can post it...
hamiltoe

hamiltoe

Reaction score
Got the sensors in today...the sensor info is definately wrong on the web site the dimensions are 4.25"" X 7"...The specs says it draws 1 mA when the light is not on, this should get plenty of battery life  with 4 C batteries.  Even though it is big, the circuit board is small and it looks like it will be easy to remove the circuit board and lens and put into a smaller enclosure.  It has a light sensor which makes it only operable in the dark, but a piece of tape should fix that.  Actually, you could reverse the inputs to the comparator on the circuit board and make it only work during the day.  The 'ON' timer is adjustable from 5 to 60 Seconds, but will stay on as long as there is motion, this could cause some problems if there is lots of motion.  I will probably use a 2 stage timer and use the output from the sensor only as a trigger.  It already has an LED that can be removed/extended to be used as a walk tester.  Instead of using a relay output, I plan on using an  analog switch.  This switch is a 16-pin 4 isolated output all wrapped in a DIP.  I'm using it in my X10 project and it sets the camera off perfectly, with much far less current draw than a relay.  I also use another one of the outputs to trigger a counter.  For $5.99, I think this just might work pretty good.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hamiltoe,

Thanks for posting the info. I'm like you, I can't pass up a new $5.00 PIR to crack open and see what's inside. Looking forward to your X10 stuff too.

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Hamiltoe - You did good!  What is the range of that thing? I really need the night only option during the hot western summer. So, I would appreciate knowing if it has to be dark, dusk, or like the MS20 have plenty of light for the light sensor to kick in.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
Richard,

The specs say the range is 20 ft., but I was getting closer to 25-30 ft in my backyard last night.

After playing with the sensor, it looks like it has to be pretty dark before the sensor will allow the output to come on.  I think you might be able to adjust the sensitivity by playing with resistor values in series/parallel with the light sensor so you could get the light senstitivity you want.  

MO Blaster

Reaction score
Anyone got this to work for them yet?  I ordered one to try out.  Can't beat a PIR at only $5.99.

hamiltoe

Reaction score
MO Blaster,
I haven't had a chance to tear into it yet.  It should be very easy.  If you don't want a delay timer, you could connect a relay in place of the 6VDC light bulb.  When motion is sensed and if the ON time is adjusted all the way to the minimum you should get a 5 Sec camera shutter time.  I plan on using a two stage timer so I can get an adjustable time delay between photos.  It should be easy to to.  All you need to do is connect the light bulb output to a transistor so that when the output comes on for the light, the timer will trigger...

I probably won't get a chance to tear into it for a couple of weeks, am going on vacation...

Hamiltoe

Top Bottom