Found some rubs

wvhunter

Reaction score
I went to check my cam today and it had only taken 3 pics in a week so I decided to move it.  While following a trail in a creek bottom I came across two rubs and one was on a 4 inch tree that had really been worked.  Needless to say that is the trail that my cam is on now.  But, it seems a little early to be finding rubs, at least in WV I don't normally find rubs until mid Sept.

Possum

Reaction score
I find rubs around Aug.20-Sept.1 here in Lowcountry SC.  I have a theory they are done by the older age class of bucks.  I have found these lose their velvet earlier than the young bucks.  Usually I find these early rubs in the same place year after year.  Mind you, I have only about 2-3 places I even know I can find rubs this early.  I theorize it is a early territorial marking by the more mature deer.  This year I can test my theory with the cam.  Keep us posted if you get some pics of a deer on this trail.  I am curious.

Stickbow

Reaction score
I agree with Possum, the earliest rubs are usually made by the more Mature bucks. Generally, they can be found in the same area each year, and are a good indicator that you have found the Dominant buck's "CORE" area.

These types of areas make IDEAL all-day stand sites.(Less chance of alerting the deer to the fact he's being hunted by going in early and leaving late, during the times he's NOT there)

Remember, even during the middle of the day those big boys get up to stretch and browse around a little in the comfort of their "secure" areas!

Top Bottom