Fox hunting

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I hope you guys can help out on this one. I was told about a spot that was over run by foxes so bad that the things where coming into the guys campsite looking for food. The only thing is that he had never seen a fox like this in his life when he asked his father he had never heard of one like either. It’s not a gay fox or red or even a kit fax as he know what all of them look like and has been hunting and camping all of his life in the SD area . I was told that the fur on some of them was red some had gray and some where mixed but the one think that all of them had was a ring on the tale. So what type of fox is this? I don’t have any picks and I don’t think he has any but will check.

songdog

Reaction score
Even gray foxes have a fair amount of red on them. They also have a dark band down the spine of their tail and a dark ring around the end.   It's most likely a gray fox (no reds in CA).  The only other kind of fox we have here are the Desert Kit Foxes.  They look the same as a gray but are even smaller.  They're protected so don't shoot one.  You'll typically find them out in the desert.  Every time I call at Wister at night you're bound to get one or more of these to come in.  I've never seen one during the day, only at night.

There might be some ringtails down that way coming up from Mexico but I doubt that would be what he's seeing.  They really don't look that much like foxes.  Their tails are longer thinner and ringed like a racoon.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’m going to call him today and ask if he has a pick of one. If I know him he most likely dropped one or two of them and has the pelt I can look at. He does know it’s not a kit fox too big. I was thinking ringtail cat (miner cat ) also.
Songdog maybe we can get together to do a hunt next time you are out in the Wister area. Well may be we can do a group thing out in the valley. I was talking with a friend the has helped Leon out with some of his fields and was told he was thinking of call the DFG to do some predator control around the fields he is doing this year. Any ways thanks for the info. Wildbirdhunter  

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Here's a Kit Fox we got on a game camera near Cibola.

Here's a gray fox I got on a game camera near San Dimas Ca.

wildbirdhunter,

ask the farmers if they want us to come down and help thin the varmints. We can do a group shoot down at Wister in Feb. or March maybe. Songdog????

songdog

Reaction score
I'm always up for a coyote trip to Wister.  Best to make it before the end of March.  After that people start melting.  Let me know...

Terrierman

Reaction score
with all those fox down there is S.D. let me know if ya need any help..*hint* hint* I'm about 45 min away.
My terriers are for hire! and are not gun shy....

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the picks spectr17 looks like that kit had a nice dinner that night. From what he told me it looks like it may have been gray foxes he ran into. I will e-mail the guy that has worked with Leon about do some predator control on the fields he planted and maybe some other areas for a hunt on maybe the first weekend in March the 2nd and 3rd.

songdog

Reaction score
Different subject but...

If I were to get my choice of a wild animal to have domesticated as a pet around the house, I'd probably have to go with a gray fox (bobcats are cool but they're still cats and I can't do that).  If you've ever had the time to sit and watch one they're one of the neatest looking little critters we have around here.  Extremely quick and agile but curious as can be.  Next time you're trying to call in a bobcat but get a fox, let him run around for a while as you wait to see if a bobcat shows up.  They can be pretty entertaining.

Off subject but I thought I'd mention it.

Top Bottom