Fox season is finally here

songdog

Reaction score
Nothing worse that having these little things come into a call before they're in season.  They sit there jumping all over the place making all kinds of noise and there's nothing you can do about it.  We'll, now they're in season...

fox

Hook

Reaction score
I called one in once while hunting bobcat several years ago. Havent seen one since, but i think I am getting the itch..........need a pardner??? :smile-big-blue:

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Songdog,

Nice picture.  What kind of rig did you shoot that thing with?  Just curious.

Regards,
Paul

songdog

Reaction score
I shot him with the 12ga barrel on that Savage 24F.  It's a .22 Hornet on top and a 12 ga shotgun on the bottom.  Pull the hammer back and select which barrel you want.  Works pretty well for foxes and bobcats in close.

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't tear him up too bad?  Sure doesn't appear to have, judging by the picture.

Regards,
Paul

yotegetter

Reaction score
That's a real nice fox. What area is that in? Looks like a spot in the SB national forest.

songdog

Reaction score
It's a pine grove surrounded by sage and manzanita in the Angeles Nat'l Forest.  Few foxes and bobcats there...

22 250

Reaction score
In San Diego County, there is no fox season.  Thanksgiving weekend,  called five foxes in to five different stands.  Had one that was jumping over my backpack three times before he saw me and nearly ran over my daughter on his exit.   Did not see a single coyote.  That area is full of red foxes,  that probably why we did not see any coyotes.

songdog

Reaction score
There's no fox season in San Diego County?????  News to me?  I need to check the regs but I sure thought that there wasn't any distinction on areas for fox hunting in CA.  Don't take my word, but check the regs again.

Also, that would have been a gray fox not a red fox.  There are a handful of reds in CA but they're way up north.  The ones in SD are gray although they have some pretty cool red coloring between the gray/black topside and their white underside.  That underside can turn almost as red as a red fox.

They can be a blast to watch though, you're right.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom