Fresnal Lens Positioning

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
has any one had problems with their fresnal lens not focusing the PIR beam correctly? Does it realy matter? I'm ready to assemble but don't want to screw it up. HELP!

kmitch

Reaction score
I've built two cameras using the MS20 detectors. On one I mounted the IR detector outside the camera enclosue in it's original package. On the second I glued the fresnel lens to the inside of the camera enclosure. The IR detector board is epoxied to a scrap of Lexan sheet slightly larger than the board to give some space for mounting screws. The board is mounted inside the camera enclosure on four 2" long 6-32 machine screws. Each screw is set up with three nuts; one where the screw passes thru the enclosure and one on each side of the Lexan sheet. Using this arrangement I can adjust the distance between the IR detector and the Fresnel lens. I have mine set at about 1". The benefit is the IR detector sensitivity can be tuned so that the detection range, camera range and flash range are all about the same. The camera with the IR detector in the original housing is more sensitive and tends to have a lot of photos with no game visible. Where the camera with the adjustable spacing between the IR detector and the lens has very few.

davered1

Reaction score
Pgumby68,

Just be sure that the sensor(little tv screen) is centered in the hole,and that the lens is the right distance from sensor.You can be off center a little but shouldn't be much for best results.

Stever

Reaction score
What type of PIR?
For my 2 RS pir I left in original housing glued right to case.

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm using the RS PIR. It consumes mush less power than the MS 20

Top Bottom