Friends first Sika

JAYB

Reaction score
Last night I was able to assist in getting a friend of mine his first Sika stag. This man is not a novice at stalking, far from it he used to make his living working for a forestry company controlling deer in commercial woodland. We have, as you already may know, six species of deer in the UK and he has bagged them all with the exception of a Sika. So as I have access to Sika and he a few more of my friends are up my way stalking for a week we decided to give it a go.

The weather forecast was not good for the day, heavy rain and high winds, but as the day wore on the rain eased as did the wind. We got to the ground and parked up, he loaded his rifle and I loaded my camera. It is farmland we were stalking, and we have to access the best part for the Sika through a gate that is directly in line with a break in the trees right accross from the gate and looks onto the main holding area for the deer. So the first bit is the tricky bit but once through it is not so bad. We made it across to the break in the trees and this gave us the chance to glass the entire area, nothing. I used my sceery elk call, very good for mimicking the Sika call when in rut, and my pal moved forward about 100 yards and I remained in the trees. He took up position in some small trees and was indicating to me that he could hear a deer away to his right, rushing in through the long grass / rushes. The wind had dropped completely and it was perfectly still, he dropped onto one knee, and I could only see the top of his head, he was looking off to his left, the deer was circling trying to scent the intruder. He gave another call and this got the stags attention and brought him into clear view from the left, he dropped to make the shot from the prone position but lost clear sight of the deer, no shot. I saw him come back up onto one knee and shoulder the Steyr .270, I looked to the left and could clearly see the stag, a fine heavy bodied 8 pointer. I heard the sound of the moderated shot and the beast fell to the ground and kicked it's legs a few times, and that was that, job done. I would estimate the whole stalk start to finish as no more than 15 minutes, if only they were all like that!

John

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
That's a beautiful Sika Stag!
Congrats to your friend for completing his UK "DEERSLAM"!!

rockcrick

Reaction score
Awesome stag, but what is on the end of the barrel, looks like a supressor?

TonyS

Reaction score
rockcrick,

Guess what? You are in the European section. The guy that took the stag was in the UK. If you don't use a suppressor there you go to jail .

rockcrick

Reaction score
I am fully aware of being in the European forum. Guess I wasn't studied up on UK gun laws.

Bulleye

Reaction score
Nice animal! I wish we could use suppressors on our guns here. Congrats!

Vermonster

Reaction score
Very nice!!! Congrats to your friend, and to you for the successful guiding...... :toast-yellow:

JTA6498

Reaction score
Congrats on a great animal. The silencer seems odd to me as well. I thought firearms were heavily regulated in the UK if not completely illegal in some parts. Anyways, Congrats to you and your buddy

Top Bottom