From the you should have been here yesterday files

Orygun

Reaction score
General congrats to all taken home the turkeys!

Was invited to hunt a farm in NE Oregon over the weekend. They do well there most of the time as the 40-50 bird flock never leaves. Until they heard I was coming. I wish. Got out a little late to the farm Friday morning. Meet the owner and he tells me that there might have been some birds in the field but all he had seen was the 150 head of elk.

Called, located called, purred, yelped an cussed, but no no vocal responses. No fresh tracks in the fresh snow, cept those leaving his property. The forest next to his fields smelled like a feedlot with all the elk sign, but no turkeys. I've had sets busted by other people, coyotes, a domestic cat, ATVs. But never had the slate wiped out by elk, before I even got there. Still, nice to get out in the field.

palladin

Reaction score
bummer!

I bet watching the Elk was cool...better luck next time?

Orygun

Reaction score
Seeing a turkey might make it better next time. I did leave the hill witha 5 pt raghorn shed and a set of ivories from a cow skull. The bonus was meeting the owner of a different place where i hunted last year. Got an invite to come back and go after the deer again. I'm, calling that trip a success.

Top Bottom