Funeral Music

Common Sense

Reaction score
What you want sung at your funeral?

Last one I went to was for an 80 year old man who went to church every Sunday, was a conservative and well respected member of the community. They sang "Prop me up against the jukebox and Tequilla Makes her clothes come off.

I'd just as soon not have a funeral for folks to come and look at my dead body, but if my family does have one, I like Roger Miller's old song:

The People in the city call me country,
cause of how I walk and talk and smile.
I don't mind them laughing in the city,
but the country folksd all say I'm citified.

The fighting men they say I am a coward.
Because I never push no one around.
Gentle people call me trouble maker,
cause I'll always fight and stand my ground.

Funny I don't fit.
Where have all the average people gone?

Some pious people point and call me sinner,
because to them I've never seen the light.
Other folks think of me as a preacher.
but I'm just doing what I think is right.

The wealthy people think I am a hobo,
lean and hungry writing mournful songs.
The poor, poor people think I am a rich man,
but really, I'm just trying to get along.

Its funny I don't fit.
Tell me where have all the average people gone?

The government has given me a number,
to simplify my birth and life and death.
Still my woman thinks I'm all important,
like the moon and the sun and the sea and the sky and breath.

Yes, its funny I don't fit.
Where have all the average people gone?

ranchwife

Reaction score
Many people use "Amazing Grace" at funerals, but I don't want that at my funeral because most people don't understand God's grace and just how amazing it is. It is almost like Amazing Grace is cliche for dying and death. At this point in my life, I know that I do want "I Can Only Imagine", "Surely the Presence of the Lord", and "In this Very Room". I want my funeral to speak of my love for Christ and Christ's love for people in the audience.

foulshot

Reaction score
Only thing I've told my wife is I want the bagpipes to play amazing graze while the casket is lowered.

After that I'll tell her to throw a big party and play Steven Curtis Chapman, Newsboys, etc.....

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
"These Days." Jackson Browne.

And no organ music.

At my brother in Laws. It was Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. The big band oldies.
He even made a CD before he passed with the Who, The Beatles, and the Beachboys on it.

I listen to it from time to time.

The last song I want is a guitar piece called Jesu, Joy of man's desiring played by Leo.

Sodhunter

Reaction score
First off no casket. I ain't that pleasant to look at anymore alive, I wouldn't want my loved ones last memory of me to be a corpse in a box. Bunch of photos of me with loved ones and doing things I love. I want a love song to my wife, then one for my kids, then some Third Day, Casting Crowns, for my unsaved friends, then a rootin' tootin' hoedown somewhere for everyone to celebrate my movin' to the promised land and to come along side my family to show their support. I guess a person should probably write some of this stuff down or it will never happen. The tequila song is out but Prop me up against the Jukebox would be fine at the hoedown!

scottymack

Reaction score
I told the wife to have a party and choose the music anything but Danny Boy.

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I've told the wife that I want a casket made of curly maple. That way when all my gunmaker friends see all that good wood going to waste, they'd shed a tear and she wouldn't have to hire mourners.

duckdog

Reaction score
Here's a new song by Willie Nelson "Gravedigger" that I really like. I liked it so much, I told my son to be sure to play it at my funeral along with, Go Rest High on that Mountain.

Grave Digger

Go Rest High on that Mountain

Live for today, because tomorrow is promised to no one.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (foulshot @ May 13 2008, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Only thing I've told my wife is I want the bagpipes to play amazing graze while the casket is lowered.[/b]

told the little lady the same thing, and told her none of that CD player crap - the real deal. If I'm lucky, I'll be going down in my kilt.

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Last one I went to was for an 80 year old man who went to church every Sunday, was a conservative and well respected member of the community. They sang "Prop me up against the jukebox and Tequilla Makes her clothes come off.[/b]
At the funeral??? Or after? I guess I'm an old stick in the mud. It sounds TOTALLY inappropriate in my opinion.

For me, Amazing Grace or maybe The Old Rugged Cross.

S&P

Reaction score
No traditional funeral with people looking at my dead body for me! Just a small memorial for my friends and family will do. I want pictures of me and my family just being together, and I want people to take the money they would spend on flowers and donate it to the local animal shelter.

For music, I want:

In the Arms of the Angels by Sara McLachlan
I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me
and
Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo`ole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MULEY51 @ May 14 2008, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Last one I went to was for an 80 year old man who went to church every Sunday, was a conservative and well respected member of the community. They sang "Prop me up against the jukebox and Tequilla Makes her clothes come off.[/b]
At the funeral??? Or after? I guess I'm an old stick in the mud. It sounds TOTALLY inappropriate in my opinion.
[/b][/quote]

It was a graveside service, although well over 200 people, including a couple of county board of supervisors and the entire city council. It was a shock to me; I didn't figure he even listened to country music. His pastor basically appoligized for the music, but said it was his request. The band played the songs immediately after the very normal service. Everyone is still talking about it.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Music?

I want cicadas, bullfrogs, and alligators as my loved ones dump my (intact and unembalmed) carcass in a North Carolina swamp. OK, if it's a sensitivity thing, they can place me gently... just at the edge of a creek where the gators and possums can fight it out over the protein that was me.

Other than that, throw a hoe-down, Irish-Catholic style wake! I'm not catholic, and I'm only a few generations removed from my Irish roots, but that's the best way to go. Celebrate the fact that I had a great life, and that the bumps and hard times I did have won't bother me ever again!

For music at the party, plug in my iPod and set it on shuffle then just let it go... 3900 songs. By the time the music ends, the critters should be done with my carcass and I'll only be a memory.

One Track

Reaction score
I Shoulda Been a Cowboy.

I've made an offer to a few of my buddies. The first guy to remind my wife that I want that song played at my funeral, gets first pick out of the gun safe. That's in my will. Offer stand for y'all!

Speck: I'm with you. I want my body to be consumed by the offspring of those that I consumed. Seems natural to me.

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
"Drop Kick Me, Jesus, Through the Goal Post of Life."

On a more serious note, I had "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor played at my sister's funeral. It was very powerful.

Modocer

Reaction score
When my aunt dies, I want to play "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead". I am willing to bet I will get no objections from the rest of the family.

ranchwife

Reaction score
"The wicked witch, the wicked witch! Ding, dong the wicked witch is dead!"

Husband you crack me up!! I think I'll stay on your good side!!

Top Bottom