G1 and the Tehama Wildlife Area

Buckoff

Hello all! I am new to the forum and wanted to spark up conversation on the G1 hunt. I drew it and first period TWA. I did some scouting over Labor Day weekend. The TWA is pretty rough, no signs of resident deer and lots of predators. I know we are looking for a migration to increase my odds but am also interested in outlying areas, mineral, Chester, etc. Any input on this?

ERSF19

I'll give you an update on the greater Mineral to Wilson Lake area after the C4 season. I can't speak for the G1 area specifically as I don't hunt that low. But they didn't migrate down by Labor Day Weekend. I have a cabin in Mineral so I'm there throughout the year and see when they come up and don't see them after they go down.
Snow in Lassen National Park earlier this week and yesterday along with an overall cold snap in the region that started last week doesn't bode well for C4 opening weekend, so good for G1 unless C4 people start low assuming the migration is on. The majority of the herd tends to migrate down pretty quickly. But even on a mild weather year I believe Mineral is too high to hunt for G1. I know what it's like by the 3rd weekend of C4 and they've either been spooked out by the number of hunters camping in the forest or moved down naturally.
Chester is way too far East for G1. Those deer migrate out through the routes over by Butte Meadows and Ruffa Ranch down below Forest Ranch. Similar to the Mineral area, their clock, weather and pressure moves them down by the end of September.

Buckoff

Thanks for the input, I am going to come back up next weekend to check out the areas around little giant rd. Some local boys down at the meat processors led me in that direction. I have heard the major migration path leads down plum creek and mill Creek. I gotta tell you though, without weather I seriously doubt I will set foot in the TWA. I looked at the draw results and there was over 500 passes issued for the fist period, same for the second. Now that being said, I covered the whole place, I am mostly interested in the areas east of Fischer campground, although much of that is refuge, then second the first tributaries on powerline rd. We covered all the ground surrounding the TWA, never saw a resident deer, only found a fresh fawn kill that the only thing left was the lower knuckle of its front leg. Loaded with predator scat, I actually spotted a mountain lion. But you name it it’s there, coyote, bear, bobcat, and mountain lion. I guess what I am asking it’s the best advice on a solid back up plan.. your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

jrod

We hunted G1 last year. Stayed at the little RV park. We hunted the Mineral area and I shot a buck opening weekend. Still had milk on his lips, haha. I was shooting first legal buck I saw....so I did.
Sometimes the deer will come out of the higher elevations and hang up half way down, and not make into the refuge. Timber company and the 1G game refuge, which is a drag. Last year I think the Sierra pacific had automobile restrictions on their property due to high fire danger which could make it tough. Some of the big ol smart ones wont come down right away either, I wouldn't necessarily give up on finding a brute up higher We saw some guys sittin tree stands on busy game trails too. I cant sit so that is not for me. Correct me if Im wrong but you can hunt thee entire C4 zone as well, its a huge area.
Cheers

Buckoff

Yes, G1 is late season C4, and I got the secondary draw for the TWA as well. I am from mendocino county and an avid Bzone hunter. I have put all my focus on this G1 hunt because it’s so unique to me. The possibility of killing a migratory cross Bree’s is more than exciting. I have heard the best way to hunt migration is to hold out in a stand and be patient, find a stand that allows for good glassing and to pay particular attention to the upper third of drainage draws such as plum creek and mill creek. I have really been doing my homework on this, talking to locals and putting boots on the ground, which is tough because the deer I am looking for aren’t around while I am scouting, so just searching habitat and food sources. I have also heard the migration herds diet is 35% acorns. Now that is something very abundant in the TWA, as well as wild grapes, currents, juniper berries, and blackberry. The bad thing is that’s what the bears love too lol. I gave my mind made up that unless I am blown away by numbers, at this point I shoot the first buck I see.

ruger_mac

I hunted this last year I got drawn for the first period in Tehama also. the wild life area will PACKed! find a camp spot soon Hogs back road is popular and goes through the whole area, scout scout scout! I saw lots of does; 1 spike but I was unfamiliar with the area and didn't know which way was up..... paynes creek has little store/bar lots of locals and lots of advice talked to guy been hunting that area since he was a kid he told me that if there is weather i.e cold rain snow up high then that wildlife area will be a steady stream of dear passing through.. you can hunt anywhere that C-4 zone is so you have options I camped right on the edge of the wildlife area and went into chester area and looked around. and remember you can hunt the whole zone not just the Tehama area so mwkr the most of it. don't bother with pig tags either ...

jrod

I would not hesitate on shootin a nice forky. There could be a giant but you can see the stats.

ERSF19

No real migration going on in the Mineral area yet. I tagged out on Sunday on what appears to be a buck that spent the summer in the area based on the amount of sign just below the ridge where I got him. His coat was just starting to turn. Saw other hunters in the area who got similar colored deer at the same elevation and lower. So the residents are holding their summer range for now. Then I saw a guy yesterday pull a big beautiful buck still in the velvet and full grey coat out of the Mineral area. So I’m guessing he came down out of the park after last weeks snow. Who the F knows with these creatures - mixed observations is the best I can give you. I’ve still got a bear tag so I’ll be in the forest more, but I’ve also got a D3-5 tag so I may spend some time in October at Bucks Lake. If you decide to hunt in the Mineral area let me know and I can help you the best I can.

Buckoff

Congratulations on the tag out! I am kicking my own ass for not grabbing a B tag this year, but my buddy and I are chasing a heavy body 4 point.. I will post a pick if he goes cold.. I would definitely appreciate some later insight on the herd.. yeah they are definitely a crazy unpredictable breed aren’t they? Slap up a pic, would love to see a deer from the area..

ishihubter1

I also have a 1st per permit. Ive hunted the area my whole life and know it quit well . are you hunting solo or with a group?

Buckoff

I am taking a buddy who has no tag but is coming along, I am interested in the plumb creek area..but not sure as of yet.. what about you?

MoanaNui

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if there is any recent info on the deer movement. A while back there was some weather to possibly move them down, but it didn't look too extreme. It looks like the first handful of days are going to be pretty tame weather, though it looks like there will be some pretty cool weather up higher. Is the cold weather enough to move them down without rain/snow? The tough decision seems to be deciding whether to hunt Mineral area, timber land, or the wildlife area. Any info on the movement, how they move with the cool weather, or anything else would be great!

Thanks and good luck to all headed out!

Top Bottom