Game Meat Processing

zenhunter

Reaction score
Anybody know of a GAME meat processor between Santa Barbara and South Orange County? I'm heading up next week to bowhunt by Vandenburg. Thought if I got lucky, I'd leave the meat with a pro instead of getting out the old issues of Outdoor Life and trying to hack it up myself.

Thanks,

Zen

bux-n-dux

Reaction score
Hey Zen I process game but am nowhere near that area. If you need any tips or help on butchering game feel free to ask me any questions and I'll do all I can to help.

.300Savage

Reaction score
check on archerytalk.com and look for a post by rancidcrabtree i did my own last year it's not that hard plus there is a 3-4 part how to on youtube also... save the money and make sure you eat your buck. my pops used a place we had never used 2 seasons ago as our normal locker was full. he shot a toad of a 3x3 and only ended up with 1 pack of backstraps i on the other hand from the forky i got that season got back 4-6 packs the same size as his 1....... never again will i pay for it unless it paying a buddy in beer or something like that

Orygun

Reaction score
Zen,

Hack it up yourself. There ain't a whole lot of meat to begin with on a blacktail to begin with unless you have a hybrid. I've taken bucks in for sausage and ground meat because the meat guys up here make awesome stuff. For just cutting meat, not as important,

Even though I don't usually bring home deer I don't try and stretch out the meat with itty bitty little steaks and whatnot. I'm down to 2 maybe 3 "roasts" off the hindquarters, some "steaks" off the straps and shoulders. The rest goes for chili. If you can score roasting bags (nets) then even the ugliest cut looks professional once it's in one of those bags.

I get almost all the meat off the bone and it gets eaten. I just like having a few big meals with the deer instead of lots of little ones so I don't worry some much about all the fancy cuts. Takes a lot less time too.

ltdann

Reaction score
There's a butcher in Lompoc, outside the base. Bruce's prime cuts I think...ask at the game station. He does a decent job for about 90cents a pd. I didn't care for his sausages (prefer my own) but he does butcher game. Have to call him before you drop off to insure he's not full.

found his card

Bruces prime cuts
[SIZE=-1]115 E College Ave # 10[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Lompoc, CA 93436-5306[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]<NOBR class=tel>(805) 736-6328</NOBR>‎
[/SIZE]

socalkid

Reaction score
I've used Green Acres Meat Market in Simi Valley for a wild pig and they did a good job. I think it's $0.75 per pound for deer.
Good Luck

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Bruce's Prime Cuts: 805 736 MEAT. "You can't beat Bruce's meat!"

$75 up to 100 lbs. $.75/lb. after that.

Do it yourself at the Rod and Gun Club: it ain't that hard.

Tinknocker101

Reaction score
Kent is the best game processor I have ever used. Just did an elk off SRI and all cuts have been great. Jalapeno cheddar sausage is the best. He can make pretty much anything you want as he is a 3rd generation butcher. He's also a nice guy.:)

Kent (805) 933-3968
Old Fashion Country Butcher
Santa Paula, California USA

gdt

Reaction score
I second what Tinknocker said. Kent is awesome!

richw

Reaction score
Brees meats in garden grove they do all my game there tha only one in orange county. They are on the corner of valley view and champman in the shoping center. they do a good job and make some good sausage out of all my pigs.

Good Luck Rich

Mntngoat

Reaction score
I used green acres too. But will try Brees meats next time. Green acres is just too far a drive from O.C.

ML

zenhunter

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the butcher info!

Now all I have to do is find a good deer, the right wind, get close enough, make a good shot, get a good blood trail....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom