Game trail camera????

2zwudz

Reaction score
  I recently bought a Hawkeye Jr. game camera.  Its the first one I have bought and man is it fun.  I have a couple of questions......How normal is it to get misfires (pictures with nothing in it)? and what is causing this?  The times are not one picture after another but more at randum.  Is it catching the weeds blowing in the wind?  Your help is greatly appreciated
Mark

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Could be the angle of the sun, a small critter you don't see, any number of things. T he card I pulled from my digital yesterday had several, but all were around the same time as ones I had pics in. Figure it was probibly a squireel low in or on a tree that I haven't been able to pick out yet. How much did you pay for the Hawkeye? Welcom to the forum

MBullism

Reaction score
Hi, 2zwudz. Welcome aboard...

Out of a roll of 24 (if I can wait that long) I'm usually good for 5 to 8 pics of "nothing".  I've read here that the sun, the wind, fast moving animals etc. can cause false pics.  A low battery on a PIR can cause blanks rapid fire, too.  

The basics I'm aware of are to not place your came so that it is facing into the low morning or afternoon sun, and not to aim it at a dark object that will be subject to solar warm up (such as evergreens).  Check each pic carefully.  Sometimes the culprit is there but hard to see.  I've had blank pics that when I checked the digital copy (from wally world) there was a nose or a tush on the edge that didn't show in the print.

I'm a firm believer that all my "false pics" are shots of 12 pointers running past...

(Edited by MBullism at 8:28 pm on May 30, 2002)

woodsman

Reaction score
Check your batterys on  PIR .I'v had that happen to me

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
One of the places that i set my cam up on is full of birds. When they fly in the sensor area they set it off but they are gone before the camera lens picks them up and snaps the pic.Mike

thehairlessone

Reaction score
weeds and stuff will set mine off too. Also had a couple pics of a tumbleweed.

rick

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Welcome 2zwudz, Sometimes pine trees or cedar trees in front of your camera will set it off. They hold heat and when the wind blows it will trip your cam. Also if you have a small branch within 2 or 3 ft. of your sensor this will trip it to when the wind blows, plus like woodsman said check your battery if it gets down so low it will trigger the sensor. LOL

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 8:04 am on May 31, 2002)

bigmandude

Reaction score
it depends on where ya live too, i cant take any pics here now because the temperature outside is too high.  i will only set my cams out when we will have weather with a hight temp of 75 or less, i am working on a thermostat for one of my cams otherwise i am off limits here until around november.

kmitch

Reaction score
Lately, I put may cameras out for a month at a time. The last two months I had one camera, not the same one, with the entire roll shot up. When I had the film developed I had one shot of a doe at night and the rest were shot up in less than 8 hours during daylight on the same day. Many of the pictures were separated in time by the time interval set on the timer. I finally figured out that I was mounting the camera to trees about 4" in dia. When a wind storm comes along the tree moves and the camera thinks it detects movement, particularly during sunny days. Might be the problem.

Keith

thehairlessone

Reaction score
i have had two rolls in a row now in a spot that has been really good before. I am thinking it is the heat(100 degrees lately) and the vegetation moving.

Luckily, I have already moved it to another spot so i will give it a try there.If I still have the same problem i may have to pull them in for a couple months.

rick

hickstick

Reaction score
I bought a hawkeye jr a month ot two ago.  I have set it out 4 times now.  The first time was on a tree about 2 feet in diameter five feet off a  funnel.  left it out for 4 days and no pics.  Moved it to a different location on a much smaller tree ( 6-7" dia) and when back to check on it about 6 days later.  we had a real nasty thunder/lightning storm the night before and wouldn't you know all 24 exposures were during the storm.  nothign but rain, spaced 3 minutes apart.

next time, different local, samething.  tree about 9" dia, facing south, full exposure of all 24 frames during a rain storm.

third time, only out for two days, but another rain storm came through.  same thing full 24 exposures.  I'm afraid to get it developed for wasting another 10 bucks.

If this thing has a PIR, why would rain be tripping it?  I can understand sun heating trees and such, but the temp usually drops during storms.  Could the rapid temp drop be effecting it?

Gonna put it out again when the weather looks clear for a few days straight and try to retreave it before it rains again.  gonna use a bigger tree too.

Any ideas guys?

MBullism

Reaction score
Hey, hickstick... Welcome to the forums!  I'm Home brew to the core, so I can't speak directly to the hawkeye, but seems to me you might want to grab the bigger trees. A more stable platform would seem to help.  I don't think the rain is tripping it, but the wind might be..

My .02

thehairlessone

Reaction score
see if you can get the negatives developed instead of the pics. My walmart does it for $1.76 and then you can pick the ones you want.

rick

LW

Reaction score
On my trail timer the only times I have gotten false trips is when I used a smaller tree  that moves in the wind and low battery on PIR . On my homebrew I had to adjust the PIR sensitivity down from 30+ feet  to about 20' .

hickstick

Reaction score
thanks guys.  and thanks for the welcome.  I know what you mean mbullism....I pride myself on making most of my own tackle, and I'll eventually do the homebrew thing, but I've got so many other projects going on now....bowmaking, forging, leatherwork, etc. that I just thought the time invested would be too much.  I just hope I can get some good pics with the money already spent.   Gonna get out and start my summer/fall food plot soon, so I hope to have a more permanent location for the camera too.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom