Gamo Whisper

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Anyone have any first hand experience with one of these babies? I've been lookin at maybe picking one up for the occassional apricot eating squirrel, starlings, or just target shooting in the backyard.

What's the read on them? Accurate? Deadly? Loud/quiet? Well balanced? Bad deal???

Freedivr2

Reaction score
This doesn't look like a real busy forum, bummer, I was hoping to get some intel on teh GAMO Whisper rifle. So I'll post some stuff I found/learned....

There's a lot of it on the internet, I've found, videos on U-tube, and a 10 minute blow by blow comparison between the stock Whisper and the one with the gas spring by Pyramid Air rifles. The short of it, it sounds like it's NOT all as quiet as it's advertised to be, and the stock spring mechanism makes most of the noise. The gas mechanism is quieter but the pellets travel faster and the retort is a little noiser than the spring, as is the recoil. Pellets that travel at subsonic are quieter than the PBA, the scope is kinda cheap and the trigger is a little on the "toy like" side according to some reviewers.

All that said, most of the people reviewing the rifle thought it was worth the value, just maybe change out the trigger, upgrade the scope "maybe".

What the heck, I took the plunge. When I get it and shoot it a bit, I'll post my own opinion for anyone else who might be interested..........

Marty

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Let us know how it works out.
It has been a little too quiet in this forum.

dw33

Reaction score
Free, the Gamo Whisper will take rabbits and squirrels, but you are right, the noise come froms the mechanism, but it is not that loud. I have a Gamo Hunter in .177 and it is decent, but I use .22 pellet rifles for rabbits. I need to get out and do some shooting soon. Good luck.

Note: You don't want to use the PBA's as they are so light they could damage the internal firing mechanism.

crazyhorse

Reaction score
Gamo advertises "52%" quieter...but decibels are logrithmic....so that means the 52% is only 3 decibels less...mis-leading,to say the least..

Freedivr2

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crazyhorse @ Jul 5 2008, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gamo advertises "52%" quieter...but decibels are logrithmic....so that means the 52% is only 3 decibels less...mis-leading,to say the least..[/b]
I've read a lot of reviews on that (I'm still waiting for the gun.....on backorder, shipping 7/8). In summary, what I understand is that the PBA pellets sound almost as loud as a .22 short but subsonic pellets are quieter than other Gamo guns. Also, they say that most of the noise comes from the spring actuated piston, that's noiser than the pellet leaving the barrel........

MY review will be here next weekend I'm hopin......

Freedivr2

Reaction score
OK, GOT IT!

Have only shot beeman match grade pellets so far, gunna try the Raptors (the 1200FPS dudes) this weekend.

Dang, that spring is about all you hear when you pull the trigger! And the trigger has received a lot of bad press as "toy like" but frankly, it's not bad at all, and about 4-5 lbs pull. More on that later when I adjust it down a tad........

Right straight out of the box, I installed the scope to approx. the right eye relief for me, took a few shots at a piece of plywood about 25 feet away and, they SAY it's not boresighted, but I was shooting within 1-2" of where I aimed. Dang!!!!! Nice!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm already purty impressed with this thing. More shootin this weekend, but out of the box it really surprised me. Nicely balanced, also. Might be a winner.......

crazyhorse

Reaction score
Congrats!!!...say...another great pellet is the JSB Exact (dome)...give them a shot...

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Alright, airgunners, I've calmed down a little bit now that I've shot this thing a few times. Here's what I now REALLY think about the Gamo Whisper;

It's a damn good deal for the money (if you can pick one up for $224 like I did from Pyramidair....P.S. no shipping costs either)!!!!

We were shooting 1/2" groups and a few cloverleafs AND BETTER at 30 yards all day long on Saturday. This was from a sitting position in a lawn chair, BTW, not any kinda bench rest. I zeroed in the scope and it performs great. Reduced the travel on the trigger to crispen that up a bit really helped also.....And although the spring is louder than the pellet coming out, that silencer has a 2nd great function; works great as a handle to cock the gun with.

I'd buy it again in a minute. Good value for the money, IMHO. I'm gunna go up and whack some ground squirrels with it soon (of course, in a lead OK zone...).

crazyhorse

Reaction score
This may be of interest to you....

http://www.straightshooters.com/documents/decibelrating.html

Gamo not on list,but interesting none the least...

Both my air rifles measured in the 88-90 decibel range at muzzle...and 79- 80 at 10 yards away...I was using a MK 3 audio dosimeter...Radio Shack has a cheap one ($49)

I've been dinging squirrels out to 25 yards...the pellet gets there before they can react to noise..think I'll range test at 25 yards with dosimeter at target and see what db levels are...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom