Garmin 64s. Good purchase?

NorCalBowhunter

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain I'm going to buy one either later today, or tomorrow. I know everyone's probably busy today and not on here, but figured I'd throw it out there anyway. Positives? Negatives? Have done a lot of research, and feel this is a good unit, but will take suggestions for other units... As long as it's not a touch screen.

Sent via pony express

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
I don't know the Garmin 64 specifically, but I have had four Garmins and one Magellan. I'll never own anything but Garmin again. I have the Vista HCx and it's completely sufficient to do what I need to do in the woods. It gets me in and gets me out; it gets 17-20 hours on a set of batteries and I can stretch that to DAYS with judicial use, plus, it takes AA batteries, so I can take a single set of spares for my GPS, my camera or my Mini-Maglite and I'm good to go. Garmin has rock-solid customer support; I say you'll be pleased if you've done the research and decided that model works for you.

Be sure to come back and post a review after you've used it a couple of times. It would be a good thing to have for the next JHO'r considering the purchase.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
I have the 64, I like it. I have the California Huntmap. I'm not really a big GPS guy, but I got a great deal on it so it was hard to pass it up. I take it on all my hunts, mainly to track how far I hike, but has really come in handy getting back to much truck a few times. I always clear my track manager routes when I start a hunt, and then mark my truck as a way point. You can't go wrong.

Last edited:

NorCalBowhunter

Reaction score
Went to "have a look" at Sportsmans and ended up buying it. As I'm sitting here playing with it, it seems to have all the features I'd ever need. I formed the opinion it would be a good unit by reading reviews. I learned during this process that you don't ever, as a hunter, want to take a review from a hardcore geocacher seriously. Those guys are ridiculous with what they're expecting. All kinds of geek terms I didn't understand, and don't really think I need to.
Will take a little time to figure it all out. I'll probably just be using it here in C4 to camera sites this year. I'm looking forward to being able to get my cams in farther on untouched territory.
My work season just blew open though, so who knows if I'll even get that far. Last year out super on the job site was a Bowhunters, so he shut the job down a couple of days extra each weekend of A1. My super this year is a sports on the couch guy... Yippee.

Sent via pony express

Top Bottom