Garmin GPSMAP 76CS

c3e001cc

Reaction score
I am contemplating purchasing a Garmin 76CS an cannot find how to install the detailed coastal maps or if they are available. A friend of mine has a Garmin GPS - Fishfinder - depth sounder combination that has a very detailed map of the coastal areas of the "Big Bend" area of Florida. I believe this detailed data is on ROM chip that is interchangeable on the unit. His unit is so detailed that it even shows the oyster bars in the bay and along the coast. I would like to have this capability on the 76 CS if it is available.

Thanks for any help on this subject. I have been to the Garmin web site and cannot locate what I think I want.

Henry

Franklin3

Reaction score
I have the older BW version the 176 Garmin and the cartogrophy chip was an extra 200.00 or so and does not come with it. you get a CD and a code to download the charts for your chosen area and install them on up to 2 seperate devices. The more expensive models come with the detailed charts already installed but they run about 1k bucks.

vermonsta

Reaction score
c3e001cc, what did you find out about the 76? I was looking at it online yesterday as possibly my next gps. I've had the etrex legend for a few years and loved it for hunting and fishing . I have misplaced it and may be looking to upgrade and was wondering if you got one or know anyone who has one and if they like it.If you or anyone else has any info I'd like to hear it , Thanks Vermonstaa

c3e001cc

Reaction score
Sorry I am tardy in answering your question. I am in Alaska right now, having driven from Forest City, Iowa going to Anchorage via Fairbanks via the Alcan Highway.

I have the 76 CS and I have it with me. I am very satisfied with it and have used it in fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and have easily made my way back to port in sea fog. That fog can limit your vision to a hundred feet or so. I also use it in flying my ultralight airplane and have taken trips of up to 200 miles.

I have a Garmin 10 with their nRoute program that I have used extensively on this present trip. The only problem I have had with it was on Highway 40 between Jasper and Grand Prarie. That road had been improved and in many cases the new road varied from the original road thus causing the nRoute program to keep "recalculating" the route. I feel certain that Garmin will be putting out updated software data to correct this type of situation.

The Garmin 76 CS will do many of the things that the Garmin 10 will do such as routing you to a destination. I know that there are other GPS's that will perform satisfactorily but I am only familiar with the Garmin units. Based on my experience with the Garmin units I find them to be very good.

The question I had about the coastal maps was solved by using marine maps that Garmin sells.

If you have any other questions....shoot them to me.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom