Garmin Map76

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Hello all,

i just recently bought myself the new Map76 from Garmin and run it with the TOPO maps software.

this is one awesome GPS as it does way more than i expected.

using it for a while i have found all kinds of goodies it will do in the hunting woods.

you can read a review on it at:
http://www.gpsinformation.net/waas/g76/g-76-map.html

check it out !

Later,

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Tinhorn,

just to name a few things the Map76 will do for ya in the hunting woods.

you can save a track route that you walk ,'' say around a clearcut ''then you can find out how many acre's is within the area.
you can also convert this to square yards or square feet plus several other conversions.

another good feature it has is the ability to measure distance to a given location , '' say from your treestand down a powerline to a marked spot that is as far as you can see ''

it measures this in feet up until 0.01 mi. which is 528 feet , then it starts in onehundredths .
say it is 0.07 from your tree to the marked spot you saved , well with a little math equasions this will show you that it is 369.6 ft or either 123.2 yards

i can see this a VERY handy tool for measuring yardages to given targets.

another handy thing it will do is project a waypoint while on the map page and scanning to a given bearing.

''say you hear a turkey gobble on the next mountain away from you''

simply take out your compass and take a reading towards where the bird gobbled from then while veiwing the map page you can pan over to the other mountain from you that the turkey gobbled from , then mark a waypoint for his location.

then you can go to him from any direction you want to as you got him pegged...lol
turks better lay low this spring....hehehe

while going to a set waypoint  with the Goto feature you can set it to give you a proximity alarm at a certain distance or time.
i got mine set up to set off the alarm at 52.8 feet which is 00.01 ft .
this feature is VERY handy also when trying to find that ''exact'' tree to climb in the dark....lol
i have had it to walk me up to within 1 ft of a marked waypoint several times when it is receiving WASS corrections and out in the open
most of the time it has an accuracy showing of around 11 to 17 feet when getting the 3 D differential readings of WAAS.

this is what i have been wanting for some time with  Gps as the Magellan 315 i got WILL NOT even compare when trying to go to a marked waypoint.

when marking waypoints it has a neat feature of enabling you to ''average'' the location which shows you onscreen how good your accuracy is, i have averaged several waypoints and when getting good reception it shows to be around 7 to 11 feet.
so this is also handy.

the more i figure out about the Map76 , the more goodies i find it will do.....hehehe
the list goes on and on as to what can be done while using it..lol

well i have rambled enough fer now but if you want to know more just ask.

Later,

Fubar

Reaction score
But can it call in turkeys? How much are they? Thanx for the info.             Fubar  

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Fubar,

they range from about $308 to $349 , it just depends on whom you deal with.

i did find one place on the net that had em for $299 but i did not know anything about them so i went another route.

as far as calling in that turk????

well i guess you could try the beeper it has to make a few weird yelps!!!!!......hehehehehe

don't beleive i'll try that though..lol

Later,

Tinhorn

Reaction score
When I read your Report GunDocc, I figured you were talking a $500 unit!

That's reasonable for sure.  I need to review the specs on this closely,  need to also see if it has the built-in-compass.....

Thanx again, and wonder whey it don't call in Turkeys????????

he he

Tinhorn

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Tinhorn,

it does not have a built in compass

but it does show you a compass dial on one screen that shows your bearing of travel while you are moving.

Later,

Latest Posts

Top Bottom