Garmin Owners

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

anyone interested in a program to edit your start up screens on your favorite Garmin unit ?

this program allows you to edit the firmware warning screens at startup to enable you to place your name and address in place of the warning.

might be good if you lost your GPS and an honest person found it , as they could see your name and address displayed if they turn it on.

the name of it is MeMap , check it out at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/g...memap/index.htm

Later,

PowDuck

Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool. Has anyone used it on the basic eTrex?

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I'd love to have my GPS personalized like that.  I downloaded all the info and stuff but don't have the guts too try it on my Etrex Venture.  Garmin says on their download site if there is a problem installing their software to send it to them but.....

Like the plumber said who's afraid of heights and had to get on the roof, It'll take me 6 beers to do that!!!!

Tinhorn

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
Gun Docc,
Have you tried this yet, I am in the same boat as tinhorn, I want to try it but...
On the web page it says somthing about the programer not trying it on a Vista, Legend, ect.
I will probally end up doing it anyway and let you know how it worked for me.
-Scott-

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I held my breath and hit the upload button to try this out with my eTrex Legend.  Everything seems OK.  My name, phone number and email address are now listed on one of the start up screens.  Everything seems to be working fine.

Who's next to take a dive??

ToddP

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
Ok I finally sacked up and did it.  It seems to work fine, and it looks pretty cool.  I hope this will help if I ever loose it.
-Scott

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
You guys who work without a net are impressive.  I wonder if it will work on my older Garmin III+?

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Just another update.  Today I downloaded the latest firmware for my garmin, made the changes to display my name and uploaded it with out any problems.  Seems fine for the eTrex Legend unit.  Yesterday's post was using an earlier downloaded firmware patch.

ToddP

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I took the plunge and tried it on my Garmin Etrex Venture.....

.......It Worked......

Each individual line is centered on the screen buy my last line is "left justified", probably one character too long

I can live with that

tinhorn

bntman

Reaction score
I used it on my eTrex Vista with no problems. You can fix the justification problem with a little tinkering...

Billy in VA

Reaction score
Spectr17:
I tried it on my  II plus but it would do nothing for me.  The GPS II does not have a warning page.  

I will warn all about a problem I had a year ago. Don't try to download a ver of software from the net that is not approved for your unit. It will lock up. I had to send my II plus back to the factory  for a new down load.  No cost, just had to do without it for a bout 6 weeks.  It was the one I use at work.  Later  Billy

bntman

Reaction score
I don't remember now, but seems like it had to do with editing the existing message. Seems like I had to redo the whole thing anytime I wanted to change something. Sorry, my memory allocation must have been exceeded for this month!

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Jesse, I also have a III+.  I volunteer you to try it :smile-big-blue:

Thanks

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
bubba,

I get a waiver since it's turkey season and can't go without a GPS. I double dog dare you to try it first.

From what Billy posted maybe we shouldn't try it. I can't even remember if my III+ has a warning screen.

bntman

Reaction score
This is now a standard feature on my Vista with the latest software upgrade. Looks like Garmin is paying attention. Now if they'll just upgrade their MapSource software where we can easily edit the maps, I'll be in business...

fpscabs

Reaction score
Not to put a wrinkle in the mix, but say you loose your unit, someone picks it up, and sees that you are still in the outdoors, drives to your house, takes all your goodies and your computer, and then when you get home --- NO JHP

Email and name only might be the way to go. Just my

pietromarc

Reaction score
I also have the legend, and i was able to put my dating info on the startup screen with out using a PC. but i think i was able to do this after i up graded fro the garmin site.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well Shoot,

After doing Garmin's resent GPS software update (July 03) my Etrex Venture won't work with the Warn Text replacement utilites. Neither the MeMap or gpsWarn utilities work.

I see the gpsWarn site listed new code to take care of the July-03 gps updates but it don't include the Venture

Darn, maybe he'll get around to it later.

Tinhorn

Top Bottom