Gas price effects on hunting...?

dlovato

Reaction score
OK, so gas prices have gone up. A lot.... since last year.

What effect is it going to have on Hunter Participation, Tags Sold, Carry-over for next year, etc?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts...

My "guesses" are...

* Deer tags sold will be down some - maybe 10% - some number of people won't be able to justify the expense.
* Hunters will hunt closer to home - which probably means more CA "A" zone hunters (A zone is where the majority of CA's population lives) - but that assumes the "lead ban" impact doesn't counter the "gas issue" - hunt close to home to save gas - effect.
* Hunters will go on fewer hunts, but probably stay longer once there - spread the drive to/from across more days (one longer trip vs 2 shorter ones, etc)
* Hunters will do less "scouting trips"
* Overall "deer take" will be down (maybe)
- less scouting
- less hunting trips
- less hunters
- but those who do go, will have a little less competition - may end up taking the same # of deer

What are your thoughts? Will the cost of gas impact the way you have hunted in the past?

- Darryl

.257magman

Reaction score
I do not see anyone staying home..... I think if a guy has an X zone and an lesser A, B, D, C tag he may only hunt the "lesser" tag once or not at all .....
and still plan a balz out trip for the Premium Tag!
it will not stop road hunters.....scouting trips may only happen once and made part of a fishing trip, family visits!
(me I use trail cams so I go at lease long enough to pattern a nice buck..).
My truck does good on gas on freeway even with my small cab-over camper for a V8(4.7 l..3:55ratio 4x4 6 speed)
(14/17 on freeway loaded w/camper and tow a quad)
(UP TO OVER 21 W/JUST CAMPER SHELL..freeway, NO CAMPER-TOWING )..
My only thought about high gas prices are is someone going to steal mine when I am hunting(siphon, steal my gas cans).
Also the guy who walks from a small buck may now shoot that dink because he spent 700 on gas!
all thoughs small 1 x2 are going to get basted!
I am drafting Semi's ...........everywhere! when ya do add 5miles to your average...BE ALERT!!
LOL
I only hunt ! .....no golf, bowling! ...so I plan for it all year..I will hunt at lease here in Ca(both tags B and X for sure tags) and Utah so far
with 5 more states to post results...I cut back on only trips that can be put off or that are not needed (backed out of two so far, and stayed home last weekend!) now if gas its triples.....I will start to
change the way I HUNT!
GOOD LUCK!
.257magman

916HUNT

Reaction score
I will just camp out more instead of going home. When in comes down to it if gas was 30 a gal id still hunt just as much.

fishnhuntfreak

Reaction score
i plan on buying a small car just to use as a hunting vehical im thinking a suzuki samurai maby?

suavegato

Reaction score
I have a dual sport motorcycle (KLR-650) that I plan to do a lot of scouting from. It can go on the freeway and the fire roads too! 60MPG bay-bee!

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
The price of gas has reduced my scouting trips down to 1 this year instead of 6.
Maybe I'm not as fortunate as others.

Orygun

Reaction score
It will eat into my non-deer hunting. Fewer waterfowling trips for sure. Have several deer trips planned and will stick with them.

JNDEER

Reaction score
i agree with you dlovato...fewer tags and maybe not so much hunting more local, but only hunting the spots that are more of your honey hole spots. no extra scouting (3 trips this year for me plus cams) and i had plans on hunting A, D and B...but with the gas and money being tight everywhere it is only going to be B zone. .. more hunting with brother and cousin all in one vehicle and splitting the cost. longer trips as oppose to more trips (for now that is the plan). where i hunt there are a lot of road hunters and i think this will cut down on some during the season besides opening and closing...however i feel that this will just bring out a lot of quad and 2 wheelers driving around.

suavegato

Reaction score
I go to Utah every year and already this year, the 4 of us who go are looking into towing one truck on a car hauler with the other instead of just driving both out as we have done in years past. We usually head out & come back at different times, so two trucks was fine, this year however, we are seriously considering making concessions to sync our scheduels so we can drive one & tow one to save on fuel! We're looking at about $500 in fuel for EACH if we drive both, probably $600 in one to tow the other and divided by 4 instead of 2! Hope we find that car hauler!

duckhunterflyfisher

Reaction score
I was up in the North Bloomfield area with the kids this past weekend and spoke to the rangers up there. They said they have seen a drastic reduction in visitors this year. Tourism is way way down in all state parks this year per the staff up there. If that is a reflection of what is to come this season then there will be less folks out there. I also noticed a steep increase in hunting/fishing stuff for sale in my local paper and on craigslist. The housing bubble, people living on credit and gas prices have really slammed the general public. Time to setup carpools for those hunters less fortunate.

Glass eye

Reaction score
I only apply for the best tags in several states, if I draw one, the gas prices won't stop me from going.
It has curbed my non-hunting excursions. Instead of hiking Havasupai Indian rez in northern AZ, we'll be at the beach in San Diego.

ltdann

Reaction score
I'm going in cold. No scouting. When I get to my area, no driving to various glassing spots. It'll be straight to the honey hole, set up and hope for the best.

It hit $4.37 here today and my wifes old POS saturn is looking good.

barel74

Reaction score
+35 cents this week? I just don't see how this can keep up. There is no oil shortage, and we are not using more.

dlovato

Reaction score
Can you say "Supply and Demand" - we (the US) has plenty of supply (at least for a while) if we opened up lots of "off limits" areas... Started building refinery's agin, etc....

Demand stays the same - everyone has to go to work...

- Darryl

ZEKEDAWG

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (suavegato @ May 31 2008, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a dual sport motorcycle (KLR-650) that I plan to do a lot of scouting from. It can go on the freeway and the fire roads too! 60MPG bay-bee![/b]
If you see some psycho, near stonyford, shasta lake or out in trinity county, with a bow or rifle strapped to his back and riding this beast, do not be alarmed.

Guess I'd better find out the law about carrying a rifle on a motorcycle. Anyone have a clue?

dlovato

Reaction score
Hmm....

Average Diesel price in CA

8/5/2006 - $3.10

8/5/2007 - $3.15

current - $5.00

- Darryl

ducslayer

Reaction score
Terrorist=GREED! Can you think of better underhanded way to hurt America?

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
Laqst year I used home as home base and slept in my own bed most weekends I hunted. This year I'll either camp (right next to where I'll hunt) or stay at either of 2 friends cabins (30 miles from my spot)if I get drawn for X7A. If it's D3 then the casbins are within 3-10 miles of my D3 spot. If I hunt another spot in D3 I'll haul the trailer up there for the season.

mp93

Reaction score
ya we drew tags for co and the biggest spender of money is going to be the gas, we budged at $6 by the then.

Top Bottom