Gas price increase = Less Hunting

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
With regular gas hitting the $4+ dollars in the Bay Area, I'm afraid my hunting time will be reduced. I wont be able to afford as many scouting trips as I have planned...darn, in general, everything seems to be more expensive these days...

How about you? Will the current and future economic situation affect your hunting?

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Nope. I'll just cut back somewhere else. It's not going to get any better. $184 to fill my wifes Excursion and it wasn't completely empty! My 84 Toyota 4 cylinder looks better every day. Ed F

SDHNTR

Reaction score
For me it won't reduce my hunting time as I won't let it. It does make me start to question trips and driving any distances for other things though.

brave52000

Reaction score
It won't effect me at all, but I do feel sorry for the road hunters,... NOT!

barel74

Reaction score
It just gives me a reason to make my buddy drive. His S-10 is a lot better on gas than my F350

tradman

Reaction score
Not so much hunting/scouting, as it seems I so rarely get to do those things anyway, but trips to the range may get to be less frequent. I get near 20 mpg in my Desert Runner, so I can't complain too much about that.

But I've definitely scrapped plans on upgrading to a new rig this year. My truck's paid off, so suddenly having a new car payment AND paying a premium for fuel just ain't gonna happen any time soon for me. If ONLY I had bought the darn 4X4 instead of the Pre-Runner back when I purchased.
Oh well, thank God for Hi-Lift Jacks and come-alongs.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
I've cut back on my normal once a week squeak shoots that I do this time of the year to keep the wife happy. Hope she remembers it when it gets closer to scouting and huntin time.

richardoutwest

Reaction score
I have no choice! I have to be in the field, it may increase the price of hunts. Archery deer hunts is what really kills us as we tend to the stands on a weekly basis for the August and September hunts. This is when gas seems to be the highest. A cheap quad may be in the future for tending stands!!

JNDEER

Reaction score
i am not sure yet...probably less scouting trips for sure....but we may do a few long hunting trips as oppose to the 150 mile one way every weekend to hunt... either that or we may split the cost 3 ways (brother, cousin, and me) to help with the costs.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
Nope, well not really.

Last year I drove 9 hours each way to hunt twice, for three days each.

Those two hunts are now one 6 day hunt, and so on.

The little one day hunts that take two hours to get to are gone, but will be replaced with two and three day hunts less frequently.

Though I admit much of that last year was the fire messing up my plans down here so I scrambled to find somewhere to park my butt, this year I will not hunt locally very much as it will require too much time I don't have to scout new areas, especially since I spent over 30 days in the field last year scouting and it all burned.

Plus OneTrack and SD like to drive, so I will just invite them along everywhere I go, well almost everywhere.

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
Definitely hunting in groups is cheaper, but as a solo hunter, I will try to do like Bearclaw, less trips but of longer duration.

easymoney

Reaction score
For me I will be doing the longer duration single trip bowhunts locally and my out of state hunts will also be more limited but the days hunted will be longer once I get there...

cam188

Reaction score
No I don't hunt far from my house anyway so in that I am fortunate. But I did plan on getting an AO tag this year to try and hunt some new spots but we shall see if that pans out the V-10 sucks fuel like its going out of style but it is the truck I have always wanted so it is a trade off.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Don't worry guys around a month before the election the oil companies will lower the gas prices so they stay out of the "lime light" it happens everytime.

So deer and upland game should be in season while the price is low!!!!

CA Bowhunter

Reaction score
This could get ugly with max point in Ca and 3 in NV I would be my luck to draw every tag I put in for. Thank god I live just two miles from work and I still have my 1985 toyota pick up still getting 25 mile to the gallon. Blake

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
lets see, i just did a 80 mi. round trip to my pro shop to have 3 fletches replaced and it wasnt a seconed thought about the high gas prices, but thats me, and anyhow if i cut back on any hunting trips i would'nt be hunting at all!

my secret is when i pull up to the pumps i dont even look at the prices, i pump and and go
! and keep on trucking
.......tra

bodega

Reaction score
Yesterday - 2 hour drive north of the Bay Area solo, saw and heard no turkeys - 2 hour drive back. That's $80 to go for a drive and a really long hike. I never used to think about it, but it's now getting really expensive to go on one-day public land hunts. On the plus side, I saw 30+ deer about 8 miles in from where I parked. This next season will need to either be composed of multi-day hunts or find somebody to carpool with and share expenses.

Yes, the price of gas is definitely making an impact on my huntng and fishing.

sportyg

Reaction score
It is 178 miles round trip to where I hunt. I may have to take a look at D 19 as it is right here. Even at that I may still put in for a Norcal hunt in an X zone and the old A22 only I may take a doe finally if I do that one.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I feel for ya'll A22 and similar hunters, that is where the gas hit will be real. Hauling 45-70 miles each way to hunt an afternoon will hurt, unless you drive a way more economical vehicle than I do.

essmanfam2

Reaction score
I just bought an old Camry, about 28mpg, to do my daily driving w/to help ease the cost of fuel. Hopefully it will save me enough to be able to afford to fill up the ol' Bronco for huntin'/fishn'/campn'.

I try not to allow things like this to dictate my life, but I do have a wife and 2 youngn's to think about as well. Prices keep soaring and my pay keeps stayn' the same.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom