German Shorthairs need adoption

JForgy

Reaction score
It looks like they have a few to many and need to place some nice looking GSP's.  I think this group could really help with Quail, Chukar, waterfowl, as well as being a great pet.  Pictures on their website.
http://members.home.net/deluzgsp/

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I was just down at the animal shelter here in Woodland this afternoon and there was a real nice German Shorthair.  A boy about 12 years old was taking dogs out in the play area to try them out and was throwing a ball to see if they would retrieve.  I told him to go try the shorthair and the family just rolled there eyes at me.  I was actually there with my family to save a cats life, oh the things we get suckered into when we don't have anything to hunt until quail season.

Brian

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Whoadog,

I heard that you have a Llewellin. Are they good retrievers? I am thinking about getting one. Are they easy to train? I know that Llewllins are getting popular thanks to Hank. Someone told me that the downside with Llewllins is all that hair. You have to give them a hair every six weeks or so. Is that true?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I have three llewellins nine, eight and eight months.  The nine year old male retrieves good when he is not with the eight year old female, she is the alpha dog and will hold the bird until you get there but not retrieve.  The male actually won a competition in March against pointers and shorthairs and retrieved every bird flawlessly to hand.  The eight month old is retrieving even better than the male and actually did about a hundered yard retrieve this morning on a planted pigeon that I didn't hit very well.  As far as hair goes I shave mine only once a year in the spring and have no problems with the hair, they are much better than an English Setter.  If you are serious about getting one I think I could give you some good advice on where to go or if you would like to seee mine in action you are more then welcome.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I already have a chocolate Lab. I am trying to soften up the boss of the house to see if  I can get another dog. Thanks for the offer. Did you get your dogs were Hank from Hunting with Hank came from, somewhere in Arkansas?

Whoadog

Reaction score
 My nine and eigtht year old  are from Al King in Arkansas, which is where Hank is from and is actually from the same sire as Hank only a month apart. I would never use him again or recommend him, my opinion.  My eight month old is from Straight Creek in Kentucky who I highly recommend and have a couple of friends with dogs from them that are top notch.  I guarantee your wife will love a llewellins personality, they are lovers at home and go all out in the field.

Brian

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Brian,

Why won't you recommend Al King? Are Setters a hyper breed like some GSP and English pointers? I am in between a Weimer and a English setter. I have heard that the Weimers are more pets then gun dogs.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 To start off there is a difference between a setter and a llewellin as far a disposition.  Seein my dogs around the house you would never believe the difference in the field, they are high energy in the field and mellow at home.  I took them to southern AZ last year and they would go all day everyday.
 Al is just pumping out dogs as fast as he can to keep up with the popularity of Hank and his costumer service is terrible and from what I hear is getting worse.  When I bought my older dogs from him it was a different story all together.
 I don't like to put down other breeds of gun dogs because there are good dogs in all the breeds so I will pass on what a large bird dog trainer once said to me "A Weimeriner is the worse gun dog God ever put on earth".

Brian

Latest Posts

Top Bottom